Postgraduate Doctoral Loans (Wales)
The Welsh government offers a postgraduate doctoral loan scheme for UK Nationals (and those with settled status in the UK) who have most recently been resident in Wales.
Students from Wales
Postgraduate Doctoral Loans will be a non-means tested loan of up to £26,445 for students commencing a doctoral programme of study in 2020-2021 academic session. The loan can be used for fees or living costs.
- you must be a UK national (or have settled status) and been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for three years on the first day of the first academic year of your degree programme;
- you must be 'ordinarily resident' in Wales (temporary absence from your home address, such as for education or travelling, will not prevent you from being eligible to apply for a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan);
- you must be aged under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of your degree programme.
You will not be eligible for a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan if:
- you already have an equivalent or higher qualification;
- you are in receipt of Research Council funding;
- you are in receipt of other forms of government support (eg NHS and Social Work bursaries);
- you are currently receiving student finance for an undergraduate or masters programme that overlaps with your doctoral programme.
- a postgraduate doctoral programme between 3 and 8 years duration.
You can apply online at Student Finance Wales.
You only have to apply for your Postgraduate Doctoral Loan once.
The total amount you borrow will be paid evenly over the length of your course.
Payments will be released after you have registered on your doctoral degree programme and the University has confirmed your attendance to the Student Loan Company (SLC).
Payments will then be made in three instalments each academic year.
No payments will be released until you have given the SLC your valid National Insurance Number (NINO).
If you have previously taken out a postgraduate loan to fund Masters study, this will be combined with your doctoral loan.
Debt from your undergraduate student loan will be paid concurrently rather than combined.