The scheme aims to provides further academic training for doctoral students whose research studies have been affected by conflict.
We promote a welcoming culture within the University and also our wider communities for those who are seeking sanctuary.
About the Sanctuary Scholarships
Our Sanctuary Scholarships scheme offers financial and welfare support to those who have been unable to either begin or continue their doctoral work due to conflict in their home country to come to the University of Edinburgh to continue their research studies.
What does the scheme cover?
The scheme includes funded visits, fully-funded PhD positions and access to supervision across the following subject areas:
- Engineering (College of Science and Engineering)
- Life sciences (College of Science and Engineering)
- Physical sciences (College of Science and Engineering)
- Biological Sciences (College of Science and Engineering)
- Medicine (College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine)
- Veterinary Medicine (College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine)
The availability of funding is dependent on discipline and demand.
Register your interest
You must hold a university degree in one of the subject areas listed above, and meet our English language entrance requirements. There are no deadlines for applications and allocation will be based on need. Interested candidates should complete the enquiry form below:
Please note that Ukrainian applicants are encouraged to apply to the UK Government's Homes for Ukraine scheme, among other routes to come to the UK.