Scholarships and Student Funding

Funding for Disabled Students

Information about the Disabled Students' Allowance and contact details for the University's Student Disability Service.

Disabled undergraduate and postgraduate students from the UK may be eligible to apply to different sources for financial assistance with their studies. The Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) can be used to purchase specialist/assistive equipment, to employ personal assistants, and to cover other costs associated with your disability such as additional photocopying.

The amount available varies depending on which student funding body supports your fees and maintenance loans. it also varies depending on the kind of assistance you require. Indicative amounts below are for the 2021-22 academic year, and are subject to change.

Basic Allowance 

Up to £1,725 per year

These funds can be used to cover additional costs associated with your course of study, such as printing, photocopying, and braille or livescribe paper. 

Equipment Allowance

Up to £5,160 per year

These funds may be used for for the whole period of your programme of study and may cover the cost of assistive technologies such as personal computers, digital recorders, screen readers and dyslexia-friendly software, as well as ergonomic equipment and furniture.

Non-Medical Personal Help

Up to £20,520 per year

These funds may be used for student support assistants or non-medical helpers, such as note takers, proof-readers, library assistance, sign language interpreters, or specialist study skills support.


If you not able to use public transport, there is an allowance which can be given towards your travel costs. For example, if required, taxi fares can be paid to take you to University every day.

Further Information

For further information you should contact SAAS, Student Finance England or the relevant funding body for your course of study. Links are supplied at the bottom of this webpage. Alternatively, you can contact the Student Disability Service for advice on applying for DSA, on being assessed for appropriate equipment support, and to find out more about working with student support assistants.

For details on the University’s Disability Statement and other useful information, including funding for disabled students who are not eligible to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance, visit the Student Disability Service website or contact the Student Disability Service directly.

Student Disability Service

  • The University of Edinburgh

Contact details



Third Floor
Main Library Building

Post Code