The Charles Mackie Scholarship
The School of History, Classics and Archaeology is offering the Charles Mackie Scholarship to students progressing from Undergraduate to Postgraduate Study within the School, commencing study in the 2022-2023 academic year.
This scholarship was introduced in 2019 to mark the 300th anniversary of the appointment of Charles Mackie, Professor of Universal History in 1719. The first such Chair in Scotland and a true polyhistor, Mackie taught a type of ‘world history’ and both his courses as well as his research interests were very broad. Among his pupils was William Robertson, the famous Enlightenment historian, and University Principal, after whom the School’s building is named.
The Charles Mackie Scholarship is for students progressing from an undergraduate degree programme in a History, Classics or Archaeology discipline at the University of Edinburgh to Masters study in the School. It will consist of tuition fees at the Home rate. Successful overseas applicants will be liable for the difference between the Home and Overseas fees rates.
This award is open to any postgraduate Masters programme offered by the School. Applicants for part-time and distance-learning Masters programmes are eligible to apply for this award (any award made would be paid pro-rata).
- Awards will be made on academic merit and the potential to excel at the chosen programme of study.
- As this award is designed specifically to encourage the School’s undergraduate cohort to progress to Masters study within the School, applicants must be current final year undergraduates studying a History, Classics or Archaeology discipline at the University of Edinburgh on course to receive a 2.1 or first-class honours undergraduate degree.
Applications for the 2022-2023 academic session are no longer being accepted for this scholarship as the deadline date of 1st March has now passed.
Further information can be found at the School of History, Classics and Archaeology
Frequently Asked Questions
All applicants will be notified of the outcome in May/June2022.
- More about the School of History, Classics and Archaeology programmes, research interests and research groups
- If you require assistance with your scholarship application
- School Masters Scholarships
If you have a question which has not been answered above, please email GradSchool.HCA@ed.ac.uk.