STEM Teacher Education Bursaries
Bursaries are available for students undertaking a one year Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) Initial Teacher Education (ITE) programme in Scotland.
The Scottish Government recently launched a new bursary scheme for people looking to change careers and become secondary school teachers, to develop Scotland’s STEM capacity through school subjects such as chemistry, computing science, maths, physics and technical education.
The level of bursary is £20,000 and it is tenable for one year.
Applicants will be expected to be in current employment and to have been in employment for at least three of the last five years (including career breaks), at the point of application for the bursary.
Applicants will be expected to have a relevant degree at 2.1 or above with the required academic content to teach maths, computing science, technical education or physics.
Applicants must have an offer of admission from the Unversity of Edinburgh on one of the following eligible Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) programmes.
- PGDE Chemistry
- PGDE Design and Technology
- PGDE Mathematics
- PGDE Physics
Applicants will need to satisfy the following SAAS residence requirements.
- You must be ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before 1st August 2018.
- If you fall short of being ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the three year qualifying period, even by one day, you will not be eligible.
- You must be ordinarily resident in Scotland on 1st August 2018.
- You will not be regarded as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here is to receive full-time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere.
- If you are not a UK or other EU national, you must have ‘settled status’ in the UK (as set out in the Immigration Act 1971) on 1st August 2018.
- For further information (and for modifications to this requirement for holders of refugee status or other protected humanitarian status in the UK) refer to www.saas.gov.uk
Those already in receipt of any other subsidised Initial Teacher Education (ITE) provision where salaries or allowances are already in place will not be eligible
Applications should be made direct to the STEM Bursary Scotland website
The closing date for applications is 23:59 Friday 31st August 2018.
You can email email@example.com or telephone 0141 468 4115 if you have any questions.