Unite Foundation Student Awards
An accommodation award for care experienced or estranged students.
A number of Unite Foundation Student Awards will be offered to care leaver/experienced and estranged students commencing an undergraduate degree, or continuing an undergraduate degree at the University of Edinburgh in the 2022-2023 academic session.
Each award gives care leaver/experienced and estranged students a free ensuite student bedroom in a purpose built Unite Students building for three years of study.
Applications are open to Home-fee status students who meet the eligibility criteria listed below. These awards are intended to support access to higher education for students who have previously been in Local Authority care, or similar residential provision for young homeless adults, or who are estranged from their family. Successful applicants will be provided with accommodation for 52 weeks each year for a period of three years.
To apply for the Unite Foundation award you need to satisfy the following criteria:
- Age 25 or under on 1st September 2022
- A statutory care leaver or estranged from your family
- A Home (UK) undergraduate starting your programme in September 2022;
- Have applied for a place or be a current student at the University of Edinburgh
- Undertaking a first and only programme of Undergraduate study;
- Be in receipt of, or applying for student finance from your regional funding body (e.g: Student Finance England (SFE) or Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS).
- A care leaver or estranged from your family.
Successful applicants will be offered a single study en-suite bedroom in a shared flat with a communal kitchen. The flats will be shared with other students. Your accommodation costs for this room will be fully covered for all 52 weeks of the year.
Terms and conditions
Whilst receiving this award, you will be required to sign the normal rental agreement operating for the property in each academic year, and you will be bound by this agreement in the normal way. You will not require a guarantor. In certain circumstances, you may be permitted to opt out of the scheme for an academic year, to return to it in the subsequent year.
Permissible conditions may include an approved placement or study abroad year, or personal circumstances which may warrant a temporary break in study. However, any permitted break cannot exceed one year.
In accepting the award, you agree to make available to the donor (Unite Foundation) or their representative:
- your first name or a specified alias
- a short word profile of yourself (no more than one side of an A4 page) and allow this to be used (with permission) in marketing and publicity by the Donor.
You will also be encouraged to provide a photograph if appropriate, though this will be optional.
Applications for the 2022-2023 academic session are no longer being accepted for this scholarship as the 1st June deadline has now passed.
Please check back regularly for updates for the 23/24 academic session.
Deadline for applications is midnight on 1st June 2022
All applicants will be notified of the outcome by the end of July 2022.