Unite Foundation Student Awards
An accommodation award for care experienced or estranged students.
A number of Unite Foundation Student Awards will be offered to students commencing an undergraduate degree at the University of Edinburgh in the 2019-2020 academic session.
Each award will cover the full accommodation costs at The Old Printworks in Edinburgh for the first three years of study.
Applications are open to Home-fee status students who meet the eligibility criteria listed below. These awards are intended to support access to higher education for students who have previously been in Local Authority care, or similar residential provision for young homeless adults, or who are estranged from their family. Successful applicants will be provided with accommodation for 52 weeks each year for a period of three years.
To apply for the Unite Foundation award you need to satisfy the following criteria:
- Age 25 or under on 1 September 2019;
- A Home (UK) undergraduate starting your programme in September 2019;
- Have applied for a place at the University of Edinburgh;
- Undertaking a first and only programme of Undergraduate study;
- Be in receipt of, or appling for student finance from your regional funding body (e.g: Student Finance England (SFE) or Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS).
- A care leaver or estranged from your family.
Successful applicants will be offered a single study en-suite bedroom in a shared flat with a communal kitchen. The flats will be shared with other students. Your accommodation costs for this room will be fully covered for all 52 weeks of the year.
Terms and conditions
Whilst receiving this award, you will be required to sign the normal rental agreement operating for the property in each academic year, and you will be bound by this agreement in the normal way. You will not require a guarantor. In certain circumstances, you may be permitted to opt out of the scheme for an academic year, to return to it in the subsequent year.
Permissible conditions may include an approved placement or study abroad year, or personal circumstances which may warrant a temporary break in study. However, any permitted break cannot exceed one year.
In accepting the award, you agree to make available to the donor (Unite Foundation) or their representative:
- your first name or a specified alias
- a short word profile of yourself (no more than one side of an A4 page) and allow this to be used (with permission) in marketing and publicity by the Donor.
You will also be encouraged to provide a photograph if appropriate, though this will be optional.
Please complete the application form which is available on the Unite Foundation website
Please ensure that you read the guidance and information provided before you complete the application form, and ensure that you meet the criteria listed above.
Completed applications should be submitted to the Scholarships and Financial Support Team using the email address below by the deadline date of 31 May 2019.