Economic and Social Research Council
The University of Edinburgh is part of a consortium of Universities in Scotland which have been awarded funding from the Economics & Social Research Council (ESRC) to support postgraduate studentships and training in the Social Sciences in Scotland.
ESRC PhD Studentships 2021
Under this Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) Scheme, which is run by the Scottish Graduate School of Social Science (SGSSS), the consortium will consider applications for doctoral studentship awards. Here are details of the application process for doctoral studentships available for 2021 entry.
Further details on the DTP can be found at: Scottish Graduate School of Social Science
Each award will cover the PhD tuition fee and a stipend at the UKRI level.
- Candidates must meet all ESRC eligibility requirements.
- Candidates will normally hold a relevant First Class Honours degree (such as BA, BMus, BSc, or LLB) and preferably a similar calibre of Masters degree.
- PhD students within the eligible subject areas who are currently in their first year of study are eligible to apply.
- Awards are available to Home fee applicants and limited awards available for International applicants. The University is able to nominate up to 2 International applicants per Pathway. Please check the full UKRI eligibility criteria here.
- To qualify for Home status an applicant must:
- Be a UK National (meeting residency requirements), or
- Have settled status, or
- Have pre-settled status AND meet residency requirement (3 years residency in the UK/EEA/Gibraltar/Switzerland immediately before the start of their programme.) or
- Have indefinite leave to enter or remain
Step 1 Apply for a PhD programme at the University of Edinburgh. Full admissions requirements and application deadlines can be found on the relevant School webpage below. If you are a first year PhD student at the University, see Step 2.
Step 2 Register on the SGSSS GradHub, complete the SGSSS Open Competition application form and upload it to GradHub by 7th January 2021. Applicants will be asked to also upload copies of their transcripts, CV and references.
Step 3 Applicants will be notified by the start of February 2021 if they have been nominated by the University. Nominated applicants will be invited to submit a full studentship application to the SGSSS and proceed to the next stage of the competition. This will include a second reference which can be from the proposed PhD supervisor.