Scholarships and Student Funding

Continuing students

US Loans information for continuing students

Please note, if you have not yet heard from us about your FAFSA for the 2022-2023 academic year, please contact us.


If you are intending to take out either Federal or Private US loans as a continuing student in the 2023-2024 academic session, please  follow the guidance below. 



Students receiving US Federal Aid are governed by stringent US Department of Education regulations. Borrowing is intended for on campus study only.

In order to be eligible to borrow US Federal loans, you MUST:  
be studying on campus comply with the University's Satisfactory Academic Progression policy          
be enrolled at least half-time for the period for which the loan is originated (PhD students who have submitted their thesis for examination do not meet this requirement) have a high school diploma  
be enrolled on an eligible programme of study be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security number    
be fully matriculated not be in default on an educational loan and must not owe a repayment on an adjusted federal grant                    
Please note that the following programmes are NOT eligible for Federal loans at the University of Edinburgh:  
All Online Learning Programmes EdD (Doctorate of Education) - distinct from PhD Education which is eligible
All PhD by Distance Programmes MSc Chinese Studies
Undergraduate MBChB All Diploma Programmes
Bachelor of Nursing All Certificate Programmes

Students wishing to arrange funding for ineligible programmes or for ineligible periods of study may have the option of arranging a Private Alternative Loan. The following are currently approved lenders with the University of Edinburgh:

Part-time study: If you are studying part time at the University of Edinburgh this may affect your entitlement for Federal Aid. Periods of study on a less than half-time basis are ineligible for Federal Aid.

If you change from full time to part-time study, this may affect your visa status. Please contact the Student Immigration Team for further information.

Visiting students attending the University of Edinburgh for one semester or for a full academic year will normally apply for Financial Aid through their home institution. Those who require a consortium agreement to be completed should email the form to the University's Financial Aid Office. Where a consortium agreement is in place, funding will continue to be arranged by the visiting student's home institution rather than the University of Edinburgh.

Studying abroad: If your degree programme involves study outwith the University of Edinburgh through a formal arrangement with another institution, then the following conditions must be satisfied in order to remain eligible for Federal Aid:

  • your study abroad institution must also be a participating and approved Federal Aid (Title IV) School.
  • your study abroad period must account for no more than 25% of your full programme of study.

To check if your institution participates in this scheme, please refer to the website and find out which international schools participate in the federal student aid programs.

International Schools That Participate in the Federal Student Loan Programs


Tasks you need to complete for a successful US Loan Disbursement 

 Private Alternative Loan Flowchart 2324 (421.76 KB PDF)

Step Task Description More Information
1 Check your Eligibility
  • Review the eligibility criteria above to make sure you continue to be eligible to receive US Loan. 
  • If you are planning to take part in a period of studying away from the University of Edinburgh, even if academic approval has been granted, there are strict criteria to satisfy regarding US Loan eligibility. Please submit a Study Abroad form as soon as possible. 

  • Financial Aid staff will check your eligibility and inform you whether you are entitled to receive Federal Aid during your study abroad. 

International Schools That Participate in the Federal Student Loan Programs


Submit a Study Abroad Form

2 Submit your FAFSA or private loan application
  • Complete a  Free Application for Federal Student Aid form using the school code G06839, this code may also appear as 00683900 and applies to all students including those studying at the Edinburgh College of Art.

Apply Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Video link - Submitting a FAFSA

3 Complete a US Loan enquiry form
  • This form lets us know that you have submitted a FAFSA, completed your MPNs and Entrance Counselling or if you have applied for a Private Alternative Loan 
  • Once we receive this, we will begin processing your loan request. 
US Loan Enquiry Form 
4 Federal only - Complete your Master Promissory Note(s)
  • The electronic MPN process must be completed in an entire session. If you exit the website without completing the MPN, you will need to start over. The session should take about 30 minutes online.
  • E- sign your Federal Direct loan MPN, using your Federal Student Aid ID to log in.   Follow the five-step process to sign your MPN, either as an Undergraduate student or as a Graduate/Professional student or as a Parent of a Dependent Undergraduate student.
  • For Graduate PLUS or Parent PLUS loans a separate MPN is required, if applicable. As PLUS loans are subject to a credit check, MPNs for PLUS loans must be signed using a US postal address. An overseas address will automatically result in the credit check being pended.
  • Although you may have signed an MPN previously, loans at foreign schools require a new MPN each year.
  • Please take a screenshot of your completed Master Promissory Note as you will need to attach this to your completed Cost of Attendance.
Sign your MPN here
5 Federal only - Complete Entrance Counselling
  • Please choose the University of Edinburgh as your school and complete your Entrance Counselling.
  • Please take a screenshot of your completed Entrance counselling (if required) as you will need to attach this to your completed Cost of Attendance.
Complete your Entrance Counselling here
6 Receive a Cost of Attendance (COA)
  • Based on the information from your FAFSA, and details of your program of study, Financial Aid staff will provide you with an individual COA spreadsheet. This will be based on the duration of your programme, tuition fees, visa costs, flights and living expenses. 
  • Please check and return the completed COA spreadsheet and signed terms and conditions, this must be returned as a pdf or excel spreadsheet attachment. You will also be required to upload screenshots of your completed MPN's and Entrance counselling (if required) with your completed Cost of Attendance.
  • Please also let us know of any scholarships/other loans you may have in place as this will impact your borrowing limit, and forward on your Scholarship Award Letter.
  • Costs relating to spouses or dependants will not be considered apart from the cost of formal childcare for dependants during class time, study time and commuting time e.g. nursery/child-minder/after school club costs.
  • Please note, the maximum borrowing amount on your COA may vary each academic year, due to a change in theoretical exchange rate, a change in programme number of weeks and visa and health immigration surcharge cost being included for New students. 

Example COAs:

Return your COA here

Cost of Living Calculator

7 Receive a Funding Confirmation Letter
  • Once your loans have been originated you will receive a Funding Confirmation Letter (Financial Aid Award Letter) from the Scholarship and Student Funding Team once your loans are originated which details the loan amounts and the disbursement dates.
  • Please read the accompanying email carefully as it contains important information regarding actions to be taken before loans can be disbursed.
  • This Funding Confirmation Letter (Financial Aid Award Letter) should be used to satisfy visa requirements.
8 Setting up your bank account
  • We strongly recommend that you open a traditional UK bank account.  If using some of the popular digital bank accounts, please note, there may be issues with your disbursement and they may not be able to accept a GBP cheque payment.
  • A number of high street banks allow you to open an account while still in an overseas country.
  • If you intend to submit details for a US bank account, please note, a GBP cheque will be issued should there be any surplus funds. We will email you to let you know that there is a cheque to be collected from the University. Please note, the cheque can take a few days to arrive to the University.

Open a UK bank account

Guide to international student bank accounts in the UK

9 Confirm how your are planning to pay your Tuition Fees
  • It is important you also confirm to our Finance Section that you are intending to take out US Loans for tuition fee purposes.  Please do this as early as possible.
Register How to Pay your Fees
10 Complete matriculation
  • In order to receive US Loans, you must be fully matriculated onto your programme of study, this involves:
    • Accepting the University Regulations
    • Confirming attendance with your School
    • Completing international check-in
    • Completing Registration
Step by step guide to matriculation
11 Federal Only - Submit Parent PLUS consent (Undergraduate only, if applicable)
  • Please can you ask the loan borrower of the Parent PLUS loan to confirm by email that they give their Parental Consent for any surplus funds resulting from the Parent PLUS loan, after the necessary amounts for tuition fees have been retained by the University of Edinburgh, to be passed directly to you. Please use the subject line for the email as: “URGENT- Parent PLUS consent”. Please note - the funds cannot be released until this has been provided.
URGENT- Parent PLUS consent
12 Submit Bank Details
  • If you are a using a UK Bank account, you will be receiving two emails nearer to your first disbursement date to your student email account which will contain further details about how to sign up for electronic transfer.
  • Please note that as we are moving to a new Payment Manager system with Convera, you will need to submit bank details again, even if you have already done so in the past. 
13 Request an increase, decrease or cancellation
  • If during your studies you wish to reduce, cancel or increase (up to but not exceeding the maximum amount shown on your COA) your US Loan borrowing amount, please submit an Increase/Decrease/Cancellation Request Form.
  • We require at least two weeks notice before any scheduled disbursement to allow adequate time for any necessary changes to be made. 
  • You can do this up to six weeks before the end of the loan period end date of your programme of study.
Increase/Decrease/Cancellation Request Form
14 Federal only - Complete Exit Counselling
  • This only applies to students in their final year of their programme of study, or those who choose to withdraw during their studies. 
How to complete Exit Counselling


Loan Limits

The amount in Direct Loan funds that you are eligible to borrow each academic year is limited by your grade level; whether you are a dependent or an independent student; your financial need; and your cost of attendance.

You cannot borrow more than your financial need or the cost of attendance.

Annual Loan Amounts

Dependent Student                                                                                                                                                   Base Amount (Subsidized or Unsubsidized) Additional Unsubsidized Loan Total Annual Combined Maximum Amount of Subsidized & Unsubsidized Loans
First-year undergraduate $3,500 $2,000 $5,500
Second-year undergraduate $4,500 $2,000 $6,500
Third-year and beyond undergraduate $5,500 $2,000 $7,500
Independent Student (and Dependent Students Whose Parents are Denied a PLUS Loan) Base Amount (Subsidized or Unsubsidized) Additional Unsubsidized Loan Total Annual Combined Maximum Amount of Subsidized & Unsubsidized Loans
First-year undergraduate $3,500 $6,000 $9,500
Second-year undergraduate $4,500 $6,000 $10,500
Third-year and beyond undergraduate $5,500 $7,000 $12,500
Postgraduate student                                                                                                                                                 Base Amount (Subsidized or Unsubsidized) Additional Unsubsidized Loan Total Annual Combined Maximum Amount of Subsidized & Unsubsidized Loans
Any year $0 $20,500 $20,500

Direct Loan Aggregate Loan Limits

All Students                                                                     Subsidized Only               Total Aggregate (Subsidized and Unsubsidized combined)
Dependent undergraduates $23,000 $31,000
Independent undergraduates $23,000 $57,500
Postgraduate students $65,500 $138,500