Worried about someone?

If you are concerned about the wellbeing of another student, friend or flatmate, learn who to contact at the University and find resources to help you.

Link them up with the Student Counselling Service

If you are worried about another student, we recommend that you encourage them to seek support from the Student Counselling Service.

It is important that the person you are worried about also makes contact with Service themselves, but talking to them about their options could help motivate them to get in touch.

Student Counselling Service - guidance for friends and family

Link them up with the Student Wellbeing Service

If you are worried about a friend who is a student, you can make a referral to the Student Wellbeing Service through their referral form:

Student Wellbeing Service

Out of hours student support

For emergencies occurring while University offices are closed, you can contact University Security by calling 0131 650 2257.

A member of Security will assist you or redirect you to the appropriate services.

University offices are closed:

  • between 5pm and 9am (GMT) time Monday to Friday
  • Saturdays and Sundays
  • during University-recognised holidays

This service is not designed or intended in any way to replace the role of the emergency services or other relevant agencies such as GPs or other local NHS provision.

In a crisis

If you feel like your friend is a risk to themselves, or you are extremely concerned for their welfare, you should contact the emergency services on 999 who can provide an appropriate assessment and medical care for them.

How to cope when supporting someone

Mental health services Breathing Space and Mind offer advice on how to help and cope when you are supporting someone with a mental health problem.

How can I help? (Breathing Space)

How to cope when supporting someone else (Mind)

Time for Change- Support someone with a mental health problem