Find part-time work

Over the last few years, there has been a big rise in freelance, remote job opportunities. This is excellent news if you are looking for additional income to support yourself during your studies.

Where to look for part-time and vacation jobs

Learn about the sectors with the most job vacancies in Edinburgh and the job sites and recruitment agencies to investigate for opportunities. Other helpful resources include MyCareerHub, and information on working at the university and getting started in the 'gig economy'.

Where to look for part-time and vacation jobs


We advertise hundreds of part-time jobs on MyCareerHub every year, adding new vacancies daily. We ensure these opportunities are suitable for students. MyCareerHub is the best starting point for part-time options. 

MyCareerHub (requires MyEd login)


Working hours and your rights at work

Discover our recommendations on how much you should work alongside your studies and where to find information about your rights at work. We understand the benefits of work – but your wellbeing and your studies are also important.

Working hours, and your rights at work


Working in the UK if you are on a tier 4 or student visa

If you are planning to work in the UK in any capacity, then it is worth applying for your National Insurance Number as early as you can.

Most students on a Tier 4 or student visa are eligible to work part-time during the semester and full-time during vacation.

If you are on a tier 4 or student visa

Contact us

You can contact the Careers Service by dropping into our offices, or by phone, email, online chat and BSL.

How to contact us and where to find us