Mental health crisis

Resources and contact details if you require help in a crisis, both at the University and around Edinburgh.

Emergency services

If you feel your life is in imminent danger or need emergency assistance, you should call 999 or go to Accident and Emergency at the nearest hospital.

Out of hours student support

For emergencies occurring while University offices are closed, you can contact University Security by calling 0131 650 2257.

A member of Security will assist you or redirect you to the appropriate services.

University offices are closed:

  • between 5pm and 9am (GMT) time Monday to Friday
  • Saturdays and Sundays
  • during University-recognised holidays

This service is not designed or intended in any way to replace the role of the emergency services or other relevant agencies such as GPs or other local NHS provision.


24/7 support


Through helplines run by volunteers, Samaritans offers emotional support available 24 hours a day. Their confidential service can also be accessed by text message or during a visit to one of their branches.

Samaritans contact details

Samaritans Edinburgh branch location

Edinburgh Crisis Centre

Open to any Edinburgh resident who is 16+ and experiencing a mental health crisis.

Edinburgh Crisis Centre contact details

Night hours support


Run by student volunteers, Nightline is an anonymous and confidential helpline for students in Edinburgh. The team are available every night of term between 8pm and 8am, over the phone or via online chat.

Edinburgh Nightline contact details

Breathing Space

Breathing Space is a crisis support helpline open 24 hours at weekends (6pm Friday - 6am Monday), and 6pm to 2am from Monday through Thursday. They offer confidential guidance from professional advisors experienced in counselling and social work.

Breathing Space contact details


You can contact the University Chaplaincy in the event of a sudden death, hospitalisation or acute crisis.

Chaplaincy emergency support contact details

University Accommodation

If you live in a University residence, the Residence Life (Res Life) Team can provide assistance if you are concerned about a flatmate’s wellbeing or any other urgent accommodation wellbeing-related issue.

University residence contacts

Royal Edinburgh Hospital

The Royal Edinburgh Hospital in Morningside is the city’s designated site for psychiatric and mental health care.

They are available 24 hours a day.

Royal Edinburgh Hospital contact details