Private rented accommodation

You may wish to rent a property from a private landlord or agency during your time at the University.

The number of properties available for private rental in Edinburgh is at an all-time low, due to circumstances outside of the University’s control. This pressure has seen a significant fall in the number of private flats available for rental by students.

Changes to lease regulations also mean that designated ‘student flats’ – where students were offered 10-month leases with a break over the summer – don’t exist anymore.

You can get in touch with lettings agencies and view properties using a property search website. 

Please note that accommodation suitable for families is limited. If you have children or dependants, please ensure you have confirmed arrangements for accommodation in place before you arrive in Edinburgh.

Below are some places it may be useful to contact as part of your search. 

ESPC s1homes  Citylets 
At Home in Edinburgh A Flat in Town  Arden Estates 
Belvoir Cornerstone Letting  Dove Davies 
Factotum  Northwood UK  Southside Management 
Umega  Littlejohns Ltd  Rettie
Glenham Property Edinburgh Letting Centre   

There are also Facebook community pages which can help with your search:

Edinburgh Student Accommodation 2023/24: Find rooms, houses, housemates 

Edinburgh Student Accommodation 2023/24 

Looking for a flatmate

The Students’ Association has set up a website to help students looking for potential flatmates to share accommodation with. On it, you can:

  • Find flatmates
  • Form a group of flatmates
  • Advertise spare rooms including private and University rooms
  • Advertise flats

Flatshare | Edinburgh University Students’ Association

The Advice Place also has advice on renting a room or a flat from a private landlord on their website:

Renting a room or flat | The Advice Place

Purpose-built student accommodation

This is housing built for students and managed by private companies. It tends to be a bit more expensive than University accommodation or private renting, but the standard of accommodation tends to be high and there are lots of en-suite rooms available. Below are the locations that currently have availability for 2024/25 and that are taking applications as of 27 May 2024:

Provider Property Room type
Allied Students Edinburgh College Residence Shared flat/Studio
Capitol Students Westfield Shared flat/Studio
Capitol Students Gorgie Shared flat
Downing Students New Park  Shared flat/Studio
Prestige Student Living  Gateway Apartments Shared flat/Studio
We are Homes for Students Mill House Shared flat/Studio
Prestige Student Living  McDonald Road Shared flat
Prestige Student Living  Mayfield Residences  Studio
Prestige Student Living  Keel Houses Studio
Universal Student Living Cowgate Shared flat/Studio
Yugo Arran House Shared flat/Studio
Yugo Brae House Studio
Homes for Students Roxburgh Shared flat
IQ Fountainbridge Shared flat/Studio
IQ Elliot House Shared flat
IQ Grove Street Shared flat
Novel Silk Mill Shared flat/studio
Novel Huxley Studio
Student Castle Causewayside Studio
Student Roost Portsburgh Court Shared flat
Student Roost Panmure Court Studio
Student Roost Brewers Court Studio
Student Roost Lady Nicolson Court  Studio
Unite Students The Bridge House Shared flat
Unite Students Sugarhouse Close Shared flat/Studio
Unite Students Chalmers Street Shared flat
Vita  Iona Street Shared flat/Studio
Vita  Fountainbridge Shared flat
Fresh Potterrow Studio
CRM Haddington Place Studio
CRM  Murieston Crescent Shared flat
CRM Meadow Court Shared flat
CRM Norton's Student Living Studio
Hello Student Buccleuch Street Shared flat/Studio
Hello Student South Bridge Studio
Hello Student King's Stables Road Studio
Abodus Student Living Haymarket Shared flat/Studio
Student Cribs Morrison Circus Shared flat

Beware of scams

When you’re looking for private accommodation, be aware that there will likely be some adverts on property search websites that could be a scam.

Some of the warning signs include a room being cheaper than other properties in the area, or pressure to act or transfer payment quickly. View any property in person or virtually before transferring any money, and secure accommodation through a registered letting agent or trusted accommodation provider.

The Advice Place has a checklist of things to consider to make sure you’re signing up for a legitimate rental property:

Accommodation scams | The Advice Place

Where to live

While areas such as Marchmont are ideal if you’re looking to live within walking distance from our central area, if you broaden your search criteria, there are lots of alternative places across the city that have great commuting links to our campuses.

If you can’t find accommodation within the city centre, it’s worth considering properties in areas slightly further out such as Dalkeith, Slateford, Murrayfield, Corstorphine, Musselburgh, Loanhead and Penicuik. These areas have an easy commute by bus to the city centre and are more affordable.

Some of our students have created their very own tours of the neighbourhoods they live in, to introduce you to what it’s like to live in different parts of the city:

Neighbourhood tour videos

Help with your rental property

If you are struggling with navigating your lease or having problems with your private landlord, contact The Advice Place for free advice.

The Advice Place

Shelter Scotland can help you to take legal action if your landlord refuses to make repairs to your accommodation.

Tribunal for private landlord repairs | Shelter Scotland