Register with a local doctor in order to receive health care when you need it. It is important to look after yourself, both physically and mentally, and to know where to go if you need medical assistance.

Information on Meningitis, Measles, Mumps & Rubella, Dec 21

Register with the University Health Service

The University Health Service is an independent medical practice. It offers full general practitioner (GP) services to patients who live in the practice area, including:

  • comprehensive medical care
  • contraceptive advice
  • antenatal services
  • child welfare services
  • nursing services

The practice area includes much of central Edinburgh.

University Health Service website

Live outside the practice area?

If you live outside of the University Health Service practice area, you will need to register with a GP or doctors surgery near your home. The GP finder on the NHS website can help you find a practice in your area.

Find a GP (NHS inform website)

Out-of-hours support

If you need urgent help for a medical issue outside of normal GP hours, you can call the NHS 24 service on 111.

If you are seriously ill or injured, you should call 999.


NHS inform provides self-help guides to direct you to medical advice and best next steps based on your symptoms.

NHS inform self-help guides