Health services

While at university, make sure you register with a doctor close to where you live. You can also get free access to period products and condoms.


Register with a local doctor in order to receive health care when you need it. It is important to look after yourself, both physically and mentally, and to know where to go if you need medical assistance.

Dentist and opticians

Register for eye and dental care while you’re studying. There is a dental and optical medical practice located in the central University campus within Potterrow.

Sexual and reproductive health

Free sexual health services are available to all students through Lothian Sexual Health, including tests for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), emergency contraception and pregnancy advice.

Access to free period products

You can find free period pads, tampons and Mooncups all around campus. Take what you need, when you need it.

Typical and Problem Periods

Information on periods from a University research centre