New Students


Information about University-managed accommodation and how to look into private accommodation. Tips on budgeting for bills and utilities and managing your council tax.

Apply for accommodation to begin the process of moving to Edinburgh. You will only be able to apply for University accommodation once you have accepted an offer (unconditional, conditional, or insurance) to study at the University of Edinburgh. Please note, 'University accommodation' refers to any accommodation contracted under The University of Edinburgh Accommodation, Catering and Events (ACE).

Accommodation Guarantees

Every student living outside the City of Edinburgh is guaranteed a place to live in University-managed accommodation as long as you apply by the Accommodation Guarantee deadline. As soon as you have accepted an offer to study at The University of Edinburgh, you should apply for accommodation; this is regardless of whether your offer is unconditional OR conditional.  Waiting until you have an unconditional offer may mean you miss our guarantee deadline. 

Find out more about Accommodation Guarantees

Preparations before arriving to accommodation

Before you arrive and move into your accommodation, keep updated with key moving in communications and complete your accommodation induction. 

After you have fully accepted your offer of University accommodation, you usually receive your contract and further communication via the email you used to apply with, however you should also regularly check your University email account, as communications and offers will often be sent to this address.

If you are not sure how to access your University email account, guidance can be found at the following link:

How to access and use the University's Office 365 email services

The email will provide you with details of a specific date to move into the accommodation that you have been allocated. This is the earliest date at which you can move in:

Find out more about moving in on the arrivals web-page

Complete your accommodation induction

It is essential that you complete an induction before you arrive at your accommodation and check the accommodation website regularly for any updates and information about this. 

You will be able to find full details about 'checking in' (date and time allocation) and key collection on the accommodation channel in your MyEd account.

Ways to keep updated with accommodation information

  • Regularly check your University email account
  • You will be sent a link to your specific residence Facebook page
  • Find out more about moving in 

Still got a question? 

Please note that University accommodation is managed separately to the University, and if you have any question about your allocated accommodation, move-in times, contracts, payment details etc., please visit the Accommodation, Catering and Events website (ACE):

University Accommodation, Catering and Events website - contact page

If you do not have a guarantee or wish to not live in University accommodation, you will need to find your own accommodation.

Find your own accommodation

Buildings and roads
If you are not planning to live in University accommodation, it is strongly recommended that you start looking into private accommodation well in advance of arriving.

Council tax

Stack of British pounds and note
How to register for a council tax exemption or discount and how to get a council tax exemption letter from the University.

Bills and Utilities

Person with a calculator
When preparing a budget for starting University, it is important to understand what your expected costs will be and what you should have enough money to pay for.