New Students

Council tax

How to register for a council tax exemption or discount and how to get a council tax exemption letter from the University.

Council tax is money that your local council charges each household for services such as transport, police, water usage and waste. 

If you are a full-time student you may be exempt from paying council tax, but you must remember to register.

Exemption and discounts

Living in University accommodation

If you live in University accommodation, your exemption will be registered for you by the University.

Living in private accommodation

If you live in private accommodation you must register your exemption with the Council yourself.

The Council may offer:

  • a 25% discount if all but one of the adults living at the property are students;
  • a 100% exemption if the property is occupied solely by students.

Apply for student council tax discount or exemption (The City of  Edinburgh Council website)

Keep your address up to date on your student record

Your address details need to be correct on your student record throughout your time of study and must be completed each time you secure and move into private accommodation. You can update your address as often as you move via MyEd.

Council tax exemption letter

You will only be required to send an exemption letter to a council if they have requested you do so.

If you are living in University accommodation, no further action is needed by you. If in private accommodation and a full-time student, you may be entitled to council tax discounts and will need to apply for exemption.

Council tax exemption letters can be viewed, printed and sent through the Personal Details channel in your MyEd (requires university password).

For further information, you can contact City of Edinburgh Council:

How to get a council tax exemption letter (Student Administration website)

Login to MyEd

Find your local council

Advice on council tax

The Advice Place provides further information about understanding council tax, how to register for exemption with councils and on council tax generally. 

Council tax (Edinburgh University Students' Association website)