Apply for and receive your University student card
You are required to have an up-to-date University student card that you should carry with you at all times. This card serves as your official student ID, your library card and door access control card to university buildings, as well as identification to benefit from various student discounts.
Step 1 - Before you arrive
Create and submit a photo
• Upload and submit a passport-style photograph to MyEd
• You will receive an email to your personal email address (the one you used to apply with) with details on how to complete this step.
Important - submitting the photo late (or not submitting it at all) will result in the card not being ready for you for the start of the semester.
Read our step-by-step guide to submitting your photo and getting your first student card:
There is no direct transfer of your medical records between general practices. You will need to register with a practice in Edinburgh, and they will arrange to transfer your records from your previous GP.
It is important to note that this can take some considerable time at present so if you do have an ongoing health condition please bring a summary of your condition with you and provide this to your new GP.
Step 2 – When you start - receiving your card
You are required to have an up-to-date University student card that you should carry with you at all times.
Your university student card allows you to:
- provide a form of student identification
- borrow books at the Library
- access university buildings around campus
- get student discounts on products and services
How to apply for and receive your student card video
This how-to video explains how to apply for your University of Edinburgh student card and how to receive your student card.
- Video: How-to apply and receive your student card
- This how-to video explains how to apply for your University of Edinburgh student card and how to receive your student card.
Need any help?
If you ever need help with IT and computing issues, please first check out EdHelp.
Complete your essential top 6 tasks