New Students


Find out about options for accommodation in Edinburgh during your studies

When moving to a new city and starting university, there are many things to consider when looking for somewhere to live.

The University of Edinburgh offers different types of accommodation for students to choose from. University accomodation can be rented out to live in during your studies, allowing you to settle in and make a home away from home. Students may alternatively decide to move into private accommodation (whether rented or purchased), or stay in their current living arrangement if they do not live far from Edinburgh.

The 'For Students' section of the Accommodation, Catering and Events website is the best central resource to refer to when considering any University of Edinburgh accommodation.

'For Students' section of the University Accommodation, Catering and Events website 

The information below provides you with help and guidance to be informed about the options available and further assist you in finding the right type of living environment to suit your needs.


University accommodation

Chancellor's Court at Pollock Halls
Learn how to apply to University accommodation, and browse the range the University offers in terms of location, price, catered or self-catered, for individuals or couples and families.

Private accommodation

Court news
You may wish to rent a property from a private landlord or agency, or even invest in a property for your time at the University.

Arriving at your accommodation

Girl in blue denim jacket arriving at location,
Here you will find information on when to move in, steps you take before doing so and what to expect. Information and details on Accessible accommodation will also be supplied here, as well as information on the Residence Life Team.

Related links:

New Students Homepage 

Bringing my family

University of Edinburgh Student Blogs