New Students

Travel documents

As you get ready to travel into the UK, make sure you have all the documents you need.

If you are an international student who is travelling from overseas, make sure you have your documents ready before you travel. 

Further guidance can be found on the Student Immigration Service - Travelling to the UK web-page

Documents checklist

  • Passport (proof of identity for all circumstances)
  • Study visa (for all international students to be checked at a UK airport)
  • Tuberculosis (TB) Certificate (if applicable to your home country, you must carry in hand luggage)
  • Driving licence (additional proof of identity, if you have one)
  • At least a three month supply of prescribed medication and an explanation letter - written in English from your doctor (for GP registration)
  • Letter evidence of a disability, learning difference, health or neurodiverse condition - written in English within the last 6 months by a medical professional, outlining how it may affect your learning
  • Cash (in case of any delays with opening a bank account, recommended no more than £1000.00)

If you use an eGate, you will not meet with an immigration officer and will not receive a stamp in your passport. You should keep your boarding pass(es) or travel itinerary in a safe place, as you will need it to show on which date you arrived in the UK. 

How to stay safe

While travelling

  • Take special care of your passport, visa and travel documents
  • Keep a photocopy or scan of your passport and any visa stamps in case it gets lost
  • NEVER carry large amounts of cash, and keep any money that you do carry hidden in a secure place on your person
  • Don’t put cash or other valuables in your check-in luggage
  • Label your luggage clearly so that it can be sent to you if it gets lost
  • If you are travelling on your own and you need to sleep, try using your hand luggage as a pillow so you will wake if anyone tries to tamper with it
  • Use padlocks to lock the zips on your bags and cases

Entering the UK (

University support services

Student Immigration Service

Disability and Learning Support Service