United States of America
Undergraduate entry requirements for students from United States of America.
American applicants must have, or expect to obtain, certain US qualifications.
Our requirements for students with US qualifications vary by degree programme.
Other than the general requirements listed below, each course may have further specific entry requirements.
All subjects except MBChB Medicine & Veterinary Medicine
All subjects in the College of Science and Engineering require one of the following as a minimum requirement, with the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Science requiriring completion of the High School Diploma as well as one of the following as a minimum requirement:
- A successful completion of one year of University in the USA; OR
- SAT score of 1290 (650 or above in Evidence Based Reading and Writing and 620 in Math) plus two APs at Grade 4; OR
- SAT score of 1290 (650 or above in Evidence Based Reading and Writing and 620 in Math) plus two SAT Subject tests with 650 minimum; OR
- ACT Composite score of 27 minimum plus two SAT Subject tests with 650 minimum; OR
- ACT Composite score of 27 minimum plus two APs at Grade 4; OR
- Three APs at Grade 4 minimum; OR
- Three SAT Subject tests with 650 minimum
AP Research is not accepted as one of the three APs required for entry.
A combination of AP and SAT subject tests are acceptable provided they are in different subjects. For example, AP French and SAT Physics is acceptable as two qualifications, but AP French and SAT French is only considered once.
Entry to some degree programmes requires SAT subject tests or APs in specific subjects. These subject requirements are listed in the undergraduate prospectus.
If you are unsure of the subject requirements for your chosen degree programme, please contact the relevant college admissions office.
Further College and subject specific entry requirements
College of Arts, Humanities and Social Science
The subject specific requirements for our most commonly applied for degree programmes in the College of Arts, Humanities & Social Science can be found by following the link below.
College of Science and Engineering
One of the following options:
- SAT Reasoning Test with 1290 (650 minimum in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, and 620 minimum in Math) plus at least two SAT Subject Tests with a minimum of 650 points in required subjects. Please note that AP Calculus (AB or BC) at 4 is required in Maths for all degrees where Maths is a required subject at Higher**
- SAT Reasoning Test with 1290 (650 minimum in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, and 620 minimum in Math) plus at least two AP Tests with a minimum of 4 in required subjects. Please note that AP Calculus (AB or BC) at 4 is required for all degrees where Maths is a required subject at Higher**
- Three AP Tests at grade 4 to include required subjects
- Please note that AP Calculus (AB or BC) at 4 is required for all degrees where Maths is a required subject at Higher**
AP Research is not accepted as one of the three APs required for entry
- Successful completion of one year of University in the USA with a GPA of 3.25 (subject requirements must be met)
An ACT Composite score of 27 or above is accepted in lieu of SAT Reasoning Test requirement only.
** For Schools where Mathematics is a required subject (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Informatics and Engineering) we will consider SAT subject test Mathematics 2 at 700 and a Calculus class at grade A within the high school diploma (including differentiation and Integration Calculus) in place of AP Calculus.
Subject Specific Requirements
Where we ask applicants taking Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) Highers and National 5s for a specific subject(s) we will ask you for the same subject(s) in your qualifications.
For subject specific entry requirements for Science and Engineering programmes, please contact the Admissions Office using the undergraduate admissions contact link below.
College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
US candidates must normally have either studied APs, the International Baccalaurate (IB) or A level examinations.
3 APs all at 4 or above in Chemistry, Biology and either Maths/Physics would be required. If Physics has not been studied as part of the AP examinations, candidates must also provide evidence of a qualification at a minimum of SQA Standard Grade 2 or GCSE Grade B or equivalent in this subject.
All applicants to Veterinary Medicine will be expected to have relevant practical experience of handling animals.
Entry from High School (MBChB)
Minimum entrance requirements:
At least 3 APs at 5 or SAT IIs 700+. Must include Chemistry and two of Biology, Math/Calculus or Physics. Qualifications can be a combination of APs and SAT IIs.
We may also consider routes other than standardized tests, based on school curriculum. Prospective applicants with such qualifications must contact the Medicine Admissions Department prior to application for advice.
Applicants offering GCE A levels or the International Baccalaureate will be considered and must meet the minimum entry requirements for these qualifications.
Applicants must also take the UKCAT.
Graduate Entry (MBChB)
Please visit our Postgraduate Entry Requirements site for information on Graduate entry to the MBChB.
Further guidance on academic entry requirements
Each course may have further specific entry requirements. All applicants must meet these requirements. Staff in the Admissions Offices will be able to provide further guidance.
Further guidance on applying
Advice for applicants from the United States of America on which documents you need to submit during your application to the University of Edinburgh, and how to submit them.
Advice for transfer students, who have completed one or more years of study at another institution and are applying to Edinburgh to complete their degree.
We have made a presentation specific to applicants from the United States of America, talking you through the admissions and decision making process, and introducing the city and the University.
English Language requirements
If your first language is not English, you will also have to meet English Language requirements to apply. These requirements are listed by programme.
Edinburgh Global's representatives for USA are Shannon Hersage and Tessa Bell.
Shannon and Tessa will help you with admissions advice and support.
Support in your country
Chat to us
Talk to a member of staff online and view a presentation about study in Edinburgh.
Join our mailing list
We will send you further useful information about the University, admissions and entry.
There are more than 2000 students from USA currently studying at the University of Edinburgh.