Student Immigration Service

Our office is closed in light of the latest COVID-19 government guidance. We are therefore suspending face to face appointments. If you need assistance with your visa, you should in the first instance email, and if appropriate, we will be able to set up a remote appointment at a suitable date and time. 

Careers students

Click here for immigration guidance for those affected by the COVID-19 outbreak:

  • If you are in the UK and your visa expires between 24 January 2020 and 31 July 2020
  • If you need to apply for a new visa but are not able to do it from the UK
  • You have applied for a visa in the UK but you cannot make a visa appointment
  • If you are outside of the UK
  • University guidance for current students
  • Collecting your BRP
A passport, compass and money

Current CAS issuance for September 2020 programme starts

The Student Immigration Service is working hard to ensure our students receive their CAS as soon as possible.

We are unable to respond to emails asking for a timeframe. We thank you for your patience.

Covid-19 restrictions and visa delays may mean that not everyone will be able to get to Edinburgh and be on-campus for the start of semester. However, the University is preparing innovative ways of teaching and learning to ensure that everyone gets the same high-quality experience, regardless of where they are at the start of their programme. 


A student outside McEwan Hall

Guidance on applying for a Tier 4 visa or short-term student visa to study at the University of Edinburgh.

A group of female students

Visa options for those who wish to work in the UK during or after their studies.

Flags of different European countries against a blue sky

EU, EEA and Swiss students

Information for students from the European Union, European Economic Area and Switzerland.

A family on the Meadows

Immigration for family members and dependants.

Students looking at a timetable

Information about support available to non-UK students and applicants at the University of Edinburgh.

University crest on a glass door

Advice and guidance for University of Edinburgh staff working with Tier 4 students.