General travel safety
Guidance and links on general travel safety
- Where possible book all tickets in advance from this country.
- Always be aware of those around you and be on the look out for suspicious behaviour.
- It is advisable to be careful of any individual who is asking you a lot of questions, particularly if they are of a personal nature, and be careful of how much information you disclose.
- If you find yourself in a situation where you are uncomfortable, in terms of personal safety, take immediate steps to remove yourself from the situation.
- If you are being met at an airport or bus / railway station find out before your arrival the name of the person that will be meeting you.
- Where possible have a photograph of the person who will be meeting you emailed to you before you leave this country.
- If the above is not possible, ask the person picking you up where they are taking you, instead of telling them where you want to go. This is a good way to check that you have the correct pick up.
- If you're travelling to a high risk area, consider arranging a password to confirm who is picking you up.
The FCDO publish personal safety guidance for women travellers.