How you can get involved
If you are passionate about what you do and would enjoy the opportunity to share your knowledge and insights with students, we’d love to hear from you.
Who can take part?
The Insights Programme consists of two strands; online and in person experiences. We’re looking for a wide range of hosts, to showcase the diversity of career opportunities available. Whether you are a self-employed freelancer or working at a global corporation, you can get involved if you are:
- a former University of Edinburgh student or representing an organisation which employs Edinburgh alumni who are interested in connecting with students
- sympathetic towards the challenges facing lots of students as they enter the workplace.
- at any stage in your career. From the recently graduated to those with extensive experience in their sector; we welcome involvement from all alumni as students want to hear from as many perspectives as possible.
For our in person Insights you should also be:
- based in Scotland or in one of our current host locations around the world (North America, Europe, South East Asia)
- able to host groups of students either at your workplace or over coffee or lunch
We held a small food reception so the students could enjoy local Hong Kong food, while talking to colleagues. It was good spending time talking to the students, talking freely about not just their career interests but also their student life in Edinburgh.
What you can offer
Your own personal career story is extremely valuable and students find it very beneficial to hear about your experiences and ask questions. There are several opportunities to get involved with our online strang of Insights whether you are able to give half an hour or several hours of your time.
Online Insights opportunities include:
- Panels on a range of topics including resilience and curiosity
- Introductory 'Coffee Conversations' with small groups of students
- Insights Inspirations: complete our Q&A form and join our Insights Library so students can begin to build their networks in areas that interest them
For the in person strand of the Insights Programme wokplace visits can be a great way to provide students with an insider’s overview to how your company is set up or how a workplace operates. How you choose to share your insights is up to you but we can help you design the experience to make sure everyone makes the most of the opportunity.
In person Insights experience examples:
- workplace tours and visits
- informal Q&A discussions and conversations
- coffee catch-ups
- brunch, lunch or dinner meetings
A little time makes a big impact
Our alumni hosts are only expected to give their time and share their expertise. We’ll brief you fully on what to expect in advance of talking to our students, including the types of questions they may ask.
Students taking part in Insights receive a programme of support and development, including funding (if applicable). This includes skills training around professional behaviours, how to build your network, and the philosophy of asking questions. We also provide briefing and support for our alumni hosts at every stage of the Insights Programme.
If you're interested in getting involved or finding out more about the programme and further ways to support students, we'd be delighted to answer any questions you may have.