International applicants

Part-time work during studies

International students on a tier 4 visa studying at degree level and above are permitted to work up to 20 hours in any given week.

Students from countries in the European Union are not subject to any restrictions on working (except Croatia).

University recommendation

If you are a full time student the University recommends you do not work more than 15 hours per week for undergraduate students and 6 hours per week for post graduate taught students. The University will not employ full-time postgraduate research students for more than an average of 9 hours per week across the academic year, and we recommend that postgraduate students apply this limit to employment outside the University.

Finding a job

Students who wish to get a part-time job can get help from our Careers Service, who can assist with questions about working, and who advertise all kinds of student jobs and other working opportunities.

You can access this information at their offices or online via the Career Service's vacancies portal MyCareerHub.

Funding your studies through part-time work

If you need a visa or entry clearance to enter the UK you will have to prove that you can support yourself financially whilst in the UK.

Students cannot rely on part-time work as part of their evidence of financial support. If you need to apply for a Tier 4 visa, you will need to be able to demonstrate that you can pay your full course fees and living costs when you make your application.


For further information, please see the Immigration site:

Immigration - Working in the UK during studies