International foundation and pathway programmes
Foundation and pathway programmes offer international students a route into an Edinburgh degree.
The University's foundation and pathway programmes provide opportunities for talented students whose high school qualifications are not accepted for direct entry to an undergraduate degree, or whose first language is not English to access degree programmes within humanities, social science, science and engineering.
The International Foundation Programme in Arts, Humanities and Social Science, and the Global Select Pathway Programme in Science and Engineering both provide a combination of intensive academic work, English language tuition and study skills tuition.
They are designed to assist intelligent and highly motivated students who have performed well at school in moving seamlessly into an Edinburgh degree.
A foundation in the arts, humanities & social sciences
For undergraduate students in the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Science, the University offers a one year foundation programme.
Successful completion of the programme with good grades guarantees progression to many of the College’s prestigious four-year honours degrees.
For students who complete the foundation programme but choose not to study for a degree at Edinburgh, the University will provide support with the process of applying to other UK universities.
A pathway for scientists & engineers
The Science and Engineering Global Select Pathway Programme is integrated within the first year of undergraduate science and engineering degrees. This means students will expect to graduate with a BSc (Hons) degree after four years of study.
Progression from Global Select direct to the second year of the degree is based upon successful completion of examinations and continuous assessment - in the same way as for all other first year science and engineering students.
Science and Engineering Global Select Pathway Programme
Why choose an Edinburgh foundation or pathway programme?
While the structures of the two programmes differ so as to fit the differing requirements between degrees in Arts, Humanities and Social Science and degrees in Science and Engineering, both offer the following advantages:
- You will be a matriculated student of the University of Edinburgh, a prestigious world leader in higher education
- You will receive high-quality English language tuition from the University’s English Language Education, one of the largest university centres for language teaching in the UK
- You will enjoy special study skills tuition in small group sessions
- You are guaranteed accommodation in the University’s comfortable individual study bedrooms for at least the first year of study
- Academic courses taught by University staff on University premises
- Edinburgh is one of the most vibrant cities in Europe, regularly voted as one of the most desirable places to live in the world