Most new international and EU students are guaranteed to be offered a room in University accommodation.
About University accommodation
The University offers students a wide range of rooms in a variety of modern and historic residences.
Most of the rooms have kitchens for students to prepare their own food, but new undergraduates can also opt for catered rooms where meals are served in the residence's restaurant.
All of the accommodation residences are within walking distance from Central campus.
Accommodation guarantee for international students
If you choose to apply for University accommodation, please be aware that deadlines apply.
To be sure that you get your guaranteed University accommodation you must apply and accept your place of study at Edinburgh by the deadline.
Which students are guaranteed accommodation?
- All first year undergraduate students regardless of where they are from
- All full year visiting students from outside the EU
- All full year exchange students regardless of where they are from
- All first year postgraduates from outside the EU
Which students are not guaranteed accommodation?
- All visiting and exchange students from EU countries who are here for only one semester
- All full year visiting students from EU countries
- All postgraduate students from EU countries
For full details of the deadlines and requirements you must meet, see the information on accommodation guarantees.
Renting private housing
If you're not covered by the guarantee or you'd prefer to find your own accommodation in the city, read the useful advice on the New Students' website: