Information Services

Scotland's Rural College Library (formerly Scottish Agricultural College Library)

University of Edinburgh Library has a reciprocal borrowing agreement with Scotland's Rural College Library.

Library Membership

From Monday 7th February 2022 University of Edinburgh Libraries are fully open to all categories of external membership.

Please apply to access the library by e-mailing: (Please include in your email your existing card reference number starting ‘200..’ if applicable).

We will reply to you with important information for access within 7 days. Please wait for our reply before visiting our libraries.*

*We may not be able to process your membership if you do not follow these steps.*





All current staff and current matriculated students at the Scotland's Rural College (SRUC) can apply for membership.*

Membership Notes
External borrower Free. SRUC Library will set the registration expiry date.

*SRUC students on University of Edinburgh accredited course will be entitled to a blue University smartcard.

What do I need to bring?

Please bring the appropriate ID as outlined below. You will be unable to register unless you have all the requested documentation.

Membership Documentation
External borrower Student or staff ID card AND completed application form from SRUC Library*

*You can get the form from the SRUC Library. You must have the form authorised by the SRUC Library before you come to University of Edinburgh Library to register. If the form is not authorised then you will not be permitted access.

What does my card entitle me to?

Details of what your card entitles you to at the University Library can be found on the following page.

Your library card can be used in the Main Library and all site libraries. Access to departmental libraries or class libraries is not available.

Library opening hours

Library locations

Replacement cards (lost, stolen or expired)

If your external borrower's card is lost, stolen or damaged you can get it replaced at a card helpdesk for a £10 fee. If your card expires you must apply for a new one. To do this you must register with the library again and provide the required documentation as detailed above. All required documentation must be provided. 

Replacement cards

Reference only access

If you are not wishing to borrow items from the library then you can join the library as a reference user (consultation only). This would require you to join as a member of the public.


Privacy Notice for Library Self-Registration

This privacy notice explains what personal information the University holds about those joining as library members. It explains why we hold this information, what we do with it, how long we keep it for and if we share it with third parties.

Privacy Notice for Library Self-Registration