Privacy Notice for Library Self-Registration
This privacy notice explains what personal information the University holds about those joining as library members. It explains why we hold this information, what we do with it, how long we keep it for and if we share it with third parties.
What information is gathered
We use the following personal information derived from the information you provide in the library self-registration system -https://www.libraryregistration.is.ed.ac.uk
- Surname, First name
- Date of birth
- Email address (where applicable)
- Telephone number (where applicable)
Our service also gathers information directly from you. This is:
- Photographic image
Reason data is gathered
We collect and store data in order to:
- Create your library card
- Create your library record
- Facilitate swipe access to libraries with swipe access control
- Library occupancy indicator
- Facilitate library borrowing and access to your online library account (where applicable)
- Contact you regarding library services
- Facilitate printing, scanning and photocopying (where applicable)
- Keep statistical records of Library memberships by category
Sharing of your data
After entering your data into the Library Self-Registration System, prior to your library application being approved, your data will populate the following University of Edinburgh systems:
- Visitor Registration System
After entering your data into the Library Self-Registration System, upon your library application being approved your data will populate the following University of Edinburgh systems and services:
- Visitor Registration System
- Identity Management System
- University Card service
- Library Management System
- Print/copy/scan service (where applicable)
For staff members of NHS Lothian joining as Library Members, in addition to being shared with the systems and services above, upon approval of your library application your data will also be shared with NHS Lothian.
We will retain the personal data you provide for up to 28 days for applications for Library membership that are either pending or declined but not approved.
Retention periods in the University systems and services that your data will populate if your application is approved vary. The University maintains several other privacy statements that are specific to services delivered.
Additional Privacy Statements
The University maintains several other privacy statements that are specific to services delivered.
Your data is gathered because of legitimate interest. It is in the legitimate interest of the University to retain records of Library members who have access to University libraries and use the library services we deliver.
Automated decision making
Other than deletion of data after the retention periods, this service does not use profiling or automated decision-making processes in relation to you.
The person responsible for this service can be contacted at: Barry.Croucher@ed.ac.uk
The general University Privacy Statement is continued at: edin.ac/privacy.