Information Services

University of Edinburgh staff, students and academic visitors

Staff and fully matriculated students of the University of Edinburgh have full access and borrowing rights to all staffed University of Edinburgh Library sites. Some academic visitors may also have full rights at the Library.

University of Edinburgh staff and students

Your University of Edinburgh staff or student ID card serves as your library card.

Staff and students should always carry their University ID cards on them.

In the Main Library, Law Library and New College Library cards are also used for swipe entry. In the Lady Smith of Kelvin Veterinary Library cards are used for swipe entry out of hours.

In other site libraries staff and student cards must be shown on request to any member of library staff and must always be produced in order to borrow.

Forgotten your student card?

Students who forget their University ID card can gain access to these libraries for consultation access only if they register for a day pass. A maximum of 4 day passes per year (1 Sep - 31 Aug) can be issued.

Information on replacement cards can be found at:

Class libraries

Access to class libraries is primarily for the staff and students of the departments within which they are located. Access is arranged by the staff of the colleges to which they belong.

Academic visitors

Official academic visitors, including Visiting and Honorary Fellows and Research Associates, should be registered on the Visitor Registration System (VRS) by their University of Edinburgh Schools and Colleges and apply for a University ID card which will also serve as a library card.

Being registered through the VRS does not automatically give someone borrowing rights or access to library e-resources. This depends on the category assigned by the department.

Library regulations

A student University card is issued on the understanding that its owner agrees to abide by the Library regulations. All other categories of user sign an undertaking that they agree to abide by the Library and Computing regulations.