Information Services

Centre for Open Learning (COL)

Students studying at the Centre for Open Learning are welcome to join Edinburgh University Library.

Updated information:

As all Libraries are closed due to Covid-19, it is not possible to apply to join the Library. Once the Libraries are allowed to open we will welome new memberships. Any updates to Library services can be found on our Covid-19 Library Updates webpage.

Covid-19 Library Updates



There are three categories of membership depending on whether you are a Credit or non-Credit student.

Membership Notes
Reference (consultation only) Free for all COL students. Membership lasts for 1 year.
External borrower - non-Credit student A fee applies. Membership lasts for 3, 6 or 12 months.
Undergraduate borrower - Credit student Free. Membership lasts for duration of course.

What do I need to bring?

Please bring the appropriate ID as outlined below. You will be unable to register unless you have all the requested documentation.

Membership Documentation
Reference (consultation only) Photographic ID AND proof of address.* 
External borrower - non-Credit student Photographic ID AND proof of address* AND letter/receipt from COL.
Undergraduate borrower - Credit student You must apply for your University ID card through the COL. This will also act as your library card.

* Proof of address must be dated within the last 3 months.

What does my card entitle me to?

Details of what your card entitles you to at the University Library can be found on the following page.

Further information

Registration can take place at any library site but can only take place during Helpdesk staffed hours. You may fill in the application form online before visiting the library.

Please note that registration ceases 20 minutes prior to the Helpdesk closing.


Your library card can be used in the Main Library and all site libraries. Access to departmental or class libraries is not available.

Replacement cards (lost, stolen or expired)

If your reference card or external borrower's card is lost, stolen or damaged you can get it replaced at a card helpdesk for a £10 fee.

Replacement cards

Reference card holders and external borrowers (non-credit students)

If your card expires you must apply for a new one. To do this you must register with the library again and provide the required documentation as detailed above. All required documentation must be provided.

External borrower (credit students)

If your card expires you must apply for a new one. Please note if your card has expired it can only be replaced if your record has been extended by the COL. Card Helpdesks cannot extend expiry dates of cards.

Privacy Notice for Library Self-Registration

This privacy notice explains what personal information the University holds about those joining as library members. It explains why we hold this information, what we do with it, how long we keep it for and if we share it with third parties.

Privacy Notice for Library Self-Registration