New Students

Bringing your family

Guidance and resources for students accompanied by family or dependants.

If your dependants are moving with you to the UK, you should consider accommodation, healthcare, and support.


We provide couples and family accommodation for students who wish to bring their partners or children with them while studying at The University of Edinburgh. Whilst this type of accommodation is not guaranteed, offers are made on a first-come, first-served basis; and only once you become unconditional firm to study. You can find out more at the following link:

Couples and families (Accommodation, Catering and Events website)

Student parents' health and wellbeing

Find further guidance and information at the following link:

Guidance and information for students who are also parents

Your children - childcare whilst studying

Find childcare in or near your place of study. The King's Buildings campus offers its own childcare service but there are many registered nurseries across the city of Edinburgh:

Finding childcare

Tier 4 students

If you are coming to study in the UK as a Tier 4 student, you may wish to bring family with you. Certain students are permitted to bring family members to the UK as dependants:

Immigration guidance for international students with dependents