New Students

Student income options

When planning a budget for University, it is important to understand when and how much you will have income options, funding, scholarships, sponsorships, loans, part-time job etc.

Financial Assistance

The majority of students can only study at University with some form(s) of financial aid to help with paying your tuition fees and/or your living costs while studying.


You may be eligible for a bursary, scholarships and other financial aid and it is worth checking the Scholarship search tool when applying and getting ready to start University. 

University Scholarships Search Tool 

University funding

There is a range of funding specifically for Undergraduate students available through the University. 

For postgraduates, although there may be funding available through the University for your degree, you can also access financial support from a range of sources. 

Student loans 

If you are eligible for a student loan, SAAS or your local student finance body will send the information needed to the Student Loans Company (SLC).

SAAS-funded students are paid monthly, you will be sent a payment schedule letter telling you the date and amount of each instalment.

Working at a part-time job 

Working whilst studying is a great way to earn a little extra money, take time out of University to meet others and learn new skills. However, it is important that you only take on work that will not interfere with your academic priorities. 

Advice about combining part-time work and study

It may be challenging to find part-time work, especially for a short period of time. The Careers Service regularly advertise hundreds of part-time jobs throughout the year.

Find out more about working part-time and how to find the right job

Most international students who are studying in the UK for a year or more are eligible to work part-time, some students may have restrictions on how much work they can do, you should check your passport to see what your individual situation is.

The website of the Student Immigration Service offers clear and detailed advice on working during your studies.

This includes information about:

  • the type of work Tier 4 visa holders are allowed to do, and not allowed to do
  • the number of hours Tier 4 visa holders can work

Immigration advice and working in the UK during studies

Related Links

Planning your budget

Student living costs

Paying your tuition fees