Using Learn to engage with students
Discover the key elements in adding content and engaging students within a Learn course.
Using Learn for Hybrid Teaching
With the University moving to hybrid teaching we are recommending a core set of tools, one of which is Blackboard Learn (https://www.ed.ac.uk/teaching-continuity). Learn is the University’s virtual learning environment.
The videos on this page cover the Learn topics below:
- Adding folders
- Adding a content item
- Copying Text in to the Learn text Editor
- Adding Hyperlinks
- Uploading files
- Creating Announcements
- Adding Lecture Recordings
- Adding Media Hopper Content
- Creating Discussion Boards
These sessions are running once at week at 1400. Use the link below to book your preferred session:
Teaching digitally for a short period of campus closure is different from designing a fully online course (but the same good practice teaching principles apply).
Adding a Content Item in Learn
The Items tool is the recommended method for adding content to a Learn Course.
- Video: Adding a content item in Learn
- Adding a Content Item in Learn
Copying Text in to the Learn Text Editor
When you want to copy existing text from elsewhere in to Learn you need to be aware of the formatting that this text contains and how to remove it.
- Video: Copying Text in to the Learn Text Editor
- Copying Text in to the Learn Text Editor
Adding a Hyperlink in the Learn Text Editor
Links to web pages can be set up to open in separate windows.
- Video: Adding a Hyperlink in the Learn Text Editor
- Adding a Hyperlink in the Learn Text Editor
Uploading files in to the Learn Text Editor
You can upload both individual or multiple files in to Learn at once.
- Video: Uploading Files in to the Learn Text Editor
- Uploading Files in to the Learn Text Editor
Creating an Announcement in Learn
Announcements can be emailed to students as well as appearing on the course pages.
- Video: Creating an Announcement in Learn
- Creating an Announcement in Learn
Adding Lecture Recordings to Learn
Lecture recordings should be automatically available in all courses, however if they are deleted they can be restored.
- Video: Adding Lecture Recordings to Learn
- Adding Lecture Recordings to Learn
Adding Media Hopper Content to Learn
You can add any content available to you from Media Hopper directly to your course.
- Video: Adding Media Hopper Content to Learn
- Adding Media Hopper Content to Learn
Discussion Boards in Learn
To promote conversation within a course you can create discussion boards with various topics (forums) and threads within them.
- Video: Discussion Boards in Learn
- Discussion Boards in Learn