Learn : Getting Started
Discover the key elements in adding content and engaging students within a Learn course.
Using Learn for Hybrid Teaching
Blackboard Learn is the University’s virtual learning environment (VLE) and the hub of your course's online teaching. It allows you to publish course-related resources and active teaching activities, such as hosting online discussions, as well as integrating with a number of other important systems that you and your students will use, including lecture recording (Media Hopper Replay), pre-recorded teaching videos (Media Hopper Create), the university blogging platform, and assignmnet submission and feedback platforms (for example Turnitin or PebblePad). This page is designed to get you started with key aspects of preparing and delivering engaging teaching in Learn, including:
- Adding folders
- Adding a content item
- Adding Hyperlinks
- Uploading files
- Creating Announcements
- Adding Lecture Recordings
- Adding Media Hopper Content
- Creating Discussion Boards
If you would like to jump stright into specific aspect of using Learn please see the short videos below. Otherwise you may want to watch a recording of a training session that we run bringing all of this information together:
Content Editor within Learn - An Overview
The content editor is a powerful tool which can enhance the student experience of a course when used well..
- Video: New Text Editor within Learn - An Overview
- New Learn Content editor
Adding a Content Item in Learn
The items tool is the recommended method for adding content to a Learn Course.
- Video: Adding a content item in Learn
- Adding a Content Item in Learn
Adding a Hyperlink in the Learn Content Editor
Links to web pages can be set up to open in separate windows.
- Video: Adding a Hyperlink in the Learn Text Editor
- Adding a Hyperlink in the Learn Text Editor
Uploading files in to the Learn Content Editor
You can upload both individual or multiple files in to Learn at once.
- Video: Uploading Files in to the Learn Text Editor
- Uploading Files in to the Learn Text Editor
Creating an Announcement in Learn
Announcements can be emailed to students as well as appearing on the course pages.
- Video: Creating an Announcement in Learn
- Creating an Announcement in Learn
Adding Lecture Recordings to Learn
Lecture recordings should be automatically available in all courses, however if they are deleted they can be restored.
- Video: Adding Lecture Recordings to Learn
- Adding Lecture Recordings to Learn
Adding Media Hopper Content to Learn
You can add any content available to you from Media Hopper directly to your course.
- Video: Adding Media Hopper Content to Learn
- Adding Media Hopper Content to Learn
Discussion Boards in Learn
To promote conversation within a course you can create discussion boards with various topics (forums) and threads within them.
- Video: Discussion Boards in Learn
- Discussion Boards in Learn