An Edinburgh Model for Teaching Online (self-enrol course)
This self-led (non-taught) teaching programme is designed to provide participants with a research-led learning experience in a model of online teaching distilled from the ongoing body of online programmes at the University of Edinburgh.
This self-study version is based on the tutor led course that was run in January, April, and June to over 650 members of staff.
The course explores key concepts in online teaching such as transactional distance, presence, contact, and time, explore many of the technologies that the university supports, and provides you with an opportunity to reflect on all of that ahead of the next academic year. It isn't a 'how to' course in terms of showing you all the functionality of a technology, but it provides materials to help you think about pedagogy, building community online, and feedback. It also gives you a chance to see all of this as a student might and reflect that might impact your own teaching.
There are four modules, to get the most out of the course learners could spend up to 5 hours of student engagement per module. As a self-led course the amount of time you spend on the course is up to you so you could choose to spend more or less time per module depending on what you would like to get from the course.
To learn about the specific university-supported technologies that we recommend using in your online teaching, consider the one-hour training sessions being offered weekly throughout the summer. These provide you an opportunity to learn more about the technology and ask any questions you might have.
The self-enrol course includes discussion boards, for instructional videos and other resources that may help your participation in the Edinburgh Model course visit:
Access the course
From 13th July this course will be available to self-enrol.
Enrolling on the course
This is an online self-paced Learn course. To enrol, please follow these steps:
- Visit www.learn.ed.ac.uk
- Log in using your UUN and your Edinburgh University password.
- Click on Self-Enrol at the top right-hand side.
- Click on the Browse Course Catalogue button within the Course Catalogue section.
- In the Search Catalogue search box, type “edinburgh model for online teaching self paced” and click Go.
- Choose the course with course id ‘zu_an_edinburgh_model_selfpaced’. (note be sure to select this self-paced version, previous instances of this course exist but will not give the option to self-enrol)
- To enrol, click on the down-pointing arrow next to the course title and choose Enrol.
- Click Submit followed by OK. You should now be able to view the course.