The Asthma UK Centre for Applied Research Privacy Statement
Asthma UK Centre for Applied Research: Privacy Statement
Who we are
The Asthma UK Centre for Applied Research (AUKCAR) is a virtual Centre led by The University of Edinburgh ('The University') and consists of 12 partner universities, which are: Queen Mary University of London, Imperial College London, King’s College London, Queen’s University Belfast, Swansea University, University College London, University of Aberdeen, University of East Anglia, University of Leeds, University of Oxford, University of Sheffield, and University of Southampton; and 4 affiliate universities, which are University of Exeter, University of Leicester, University of Liverpool and University of Nottingham. Roles and responsibilities for organising training and events can be allocated across these universities.
What information is collected
- Personal details (including: name, email address, organisation of work, dietary requirements) for those who attend/speak/agreed to participate/facilitate in the Annual Scientific Meeting or other educational workshops.
- Video recordings and photography from events.
- When visiting our website we collect IP address, operating system and browser type where this is available.
- Any other information you post, email or otherwise send to us.
Information collected on the public for patient and public involvement has a separate privacy statement.
How we use your information
We use your information to:
- Provide information and supply documentation for attendance at AUKCAR events.
- Notify you of future AUKCAR events or other relevant AUKCAR news, opportunities and our networks (e.g. publication of videos, information on research projects, conferences), a core function of AUKCAR.
- Allow strategic planning of future events.
- Video recordings of presentations/interviews at events may be published on YouTube and photographs from events may be used in promotional material or presentations about AUKCAR and posted on social media. If you do not wish to be filmed of photographed we will ask you to inform one of the organisers at the event.
For members and former members of AUKCAR:
- List you on the website as a member or former member of the Centre
Storage and sharing of this information
- Only university staff working as members of AUKCAR have access to this personal information and will be limited to the administrative and organisational teams.
- Information may be shared with external organisations when their services are required to deliver events/services (e.g. catering at an external venue, printers).
- AUKCAR/the University use an external company to record and edit videos and store the footage securely.
- Information about you in electronic form will be subject to password and other security restrictions, while paper files will be stored in secure areas with controlled access.
- Otherwise, unless required to do so by law, we will not share, sell or distribute any of the information you provide to us without your consent.
How long will your information be held?
We will delete your data two years after the last time you came to an event or participated in one of our programmes. For co-applicants, we will hold your personal data for 6 months after the grant has finished. For members and people employed by the Centre, we will hold your personal data 6 months after the end of being a member/employment.
Legal basis for using your information
Whenever we use personal data we must have a legal basis for doing so. In almost all instances the legal basis for using your information is the legitimate interest for the day-to-day running of AUKCAR. AUKCAR/The University may process your information under the legal basis of contract, whereby the processing is necessary for a contract you have with us.
How to Access/Update/Unsubscribe Information about you
You have the right to request access to, copies of and rectification or (in some cases) erasure of personal data held by AUKCAR and can request that we restrict processing or object to processing as well as (in some cases) the right to data portability (i.e. the right to ask us to put your data into a format that it can be transferred easily to a different organisation). If you wish to make use of one of these rights, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can unsubscribe to receiving further communications at any point by contacting us directly at email@example.com
Data controller and contact details
For data collected under this privacy notice, the University of Edinburgh (the “University”) is the Data Controller (as that term is defined in the EU General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679), registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office, Registration Number Z6426984.
You can contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our data protection policy is on our website at https://www.ed.ac.uk/data-protection/data-protection-policy
If you are unhappy with the way in which your personal data has been processed you may in the first instance contact the University Data Protection Officer using the contact details above.
If you remain dissatisfied then you have the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: Information Commissioner’s Office Wycliffe House Water Lane Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 5AF