Student Support Teams

Support for friends and families

Guidance for staff contacted by students, parents or carers, worried about a student’s mental wellbeing.

Support services

A student who is concerned about the mental wellbeing of a friend or flatmate can contact the Student Counselling Service for advice and support. It is important that the individual they are worried about makes contact with services themselves, but talking to them about their options could help motivate them to get in touch. The Student Counselling website also contains a variety of self-help materials for students.

The Student Counselling Service offers a range of support to matriculated students. They also offer telephone consultation for parents and carers of students:

Students can access more informal support at the University Chaplaincy where staff are on hand to listen and offer crisis support: