Grow with us
For staff and students alike, your development is at our very foundation. We offer a carefully designed range of training courses and professional certification schemes to enhance the skills set of our staff.
Digital Skills and Training
Developing the digital skills of our staff is at the forefront of University strategy and underpins many of our activities. To enable this to happen, we have introduced:
- The Digital Skills Framework, which provides access to over 500 resources and training courses, offering a variety of learning methods gathered from over 30 providers.
- Trainers and tutors of world class expertise to ensure our staff receive cutting edge digital skills development.
- Training resources including special facilities, tailored programmes and presentations.
LinkedIn began as little more than an online CV platform but has quickly transformed into a global professional networking site. Join our LinkedIn groups and develop your professional network.
LinkedIn Learning is on an online skills development service offering an extensive library of high-quality video courses in business, creative and technical skills. The University of Edinburgh has a campus-wide licence, offering staff and students unlimited access to the service via the web and mobile apps.
Professional registration and certification
Our staff have the opportunity to undertake reflective and collaborative development, recognised by professional registration and certification, including:
- CILIP offers a professional registration scheme for library and information professionals to work towards Certification, Chartership or Fellowship.
- CMALT enables staff working within learning technology to become Certified Members of the Association of Learning Technology.
- ITIL is for training key staff within ISG and facilitating training for College and CSG/SASG professional services staff towards the Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management.
- The ARA registration scheme offers a professional development pathway for archivists, archive conservators and records managers.
- The AMA provides a framework for the professional development of museums staff.
The Institute of Academic Development (IAD)
The IAD is one of the jewels of the University of Edinburgh's services to students and staff. Its remit is to provide University-level support for teaching, learning and researcher development. This includes a mixture of direct support for students and staff, including:
- Soft-skills workshops, online resources, networks and advice - much of it delivered in partnership with Schools and Professional Service areas.
- The Study Hub : learning resources written for taught students but with advice on specific study skills topics, plus downloadable resources with useful study strategies.
International events and conferences
As an employee of one of the world's most prestigious universities, you can also attend the following:
- Events: including festivals, exhibitions, and concerts.
- Special lectures: where world-leading experts visit us to speak on every conceivable subject - from divinity, informatics and marine biology to cinema and literature.
- TEDx: the independently organised programme of local events held at the University of Edinburgh, which brings people together to share an experience similar to the multidisciplinary TED conferences.
- International Women's Day Lectures: to celebrate female empowerment in the workplace.