Global leaders examine aspects of the Enlightenment's legacy in the context of our own fraught and hectic times.
Subscribe to the podcasts
Subscribe to our podcasts to receive all the lectures in this series.
Watch videos from this series on our YouTube playlist.
Lecture series content
The video podcast contains the following lectures:
- Julia Marton-Lefèvre - The Promise of 2015: Hopes for a New Environmental Enlightenment
- Prof. Sir John Beddington - Legacies of the 20th Century and Challenges for the 21st
- Prof. Lord Robert Winston - Medicine, Ethics and Society
- Prof. Mary Robinson - Human rights in the modern world
- Prof. Stefan Collini - From Belles-Lettres to Eng-Lit: Criticism and its Publics
- Prof. Aubrey Manning - Population: Can We Begin to Talk Sensibly?
- Prof. Amartya Sen - David Hume and the Demands of Ethics
- Jon Snow - A Changing Media in a Changing World
- Prof. Steve Jones - Is Human Evolution Over?
- Prof. Joseph Stiglitz - Globalisation and the 21st Century Enlightenment
- Irene Khan - The War on Terror, A War on Liberty?
- Prof. Daniel Dennett: Is Science Showing That We Don't Have Free Will?
The audio podcast contains some additional content from a complementary seminar series on Enlightenment and popular culture:
- Lord Nigel Crisp - Turning the World Upside Down: The Search for Global Health in the 21st Century
- Mr Hugh Cheape - A Neo-baroque Strain in Scottish Folk Music
- Dr Adam Fox - 18th Century Street Theatre: Bedlamites and Buffoons
- Dr Stana Nenadic - The Performance of Sociability in the Age of Enlightenment OR They do it with Mirrors
- Dr Lloyd Llewellyn-Jones - Handel In The Orient
- Dr Stephen Lloyd - Raeburn and His Patrons
- Dr Walter Willett - The Optimal Diet for 21st Century Living
- Prof. Steven Pinker - The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature
- Jose Manuel Barroso - European Union in the 21st Century
- Dr Lawrence Klein - A Retired Shopkeeper Makes Enlightenment
- Prof. Tom Devine - A Puzzle from the Past: Why the Scottish Enlightenment Happened