The Future Economy
Held on 12 October 2021, the second event in the Edinburgh Futures Conversations Series saw experts from around the world explore the systemic nature of the risks we are facing and the dependency between the components of systems for the future economy.
The Future Economy Conversations explored the role of the future economy in healing and securing our planet. The conversations assessed the systemic nature of the risks we are facing and the dependency between the components of systems for the future economy. In doing so, the conversations identified the opportunities we have to change and reshape systems to transform economies and support regeneration, recovery, and prosperity for all.
The opening session, Global conversations, featured former UK Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, the first woman to head a UK Clearing Bank, Dame Susan Rice, the head of the Africa Investment Forum, Chinelo Anohu and Director and Co-founder of the Global Ethical Finance Initiative (GEFI), Omar Shaikh.
Other speakers at the event included:
- Katherine Trebeck, (co-founder and Strategic Advocacy Advisor of the Wellbeing Economy Alliance and co-founder of WEAll Scotland)
- Mariana Mazzucato (Professor in the Economics of Innovation and Public Value at University College London, and Founding Director of the UCL Institute for Innovation & Public Purpose)
- Professor Gbenga Ibikunle, (The University of Edinburgh)
- Hiro Misuno, (financial executive, serving as theSpecial Envoy to the United Nations Secretary-General on Innovative Finance and Sustainable Investments)
- Ellen MacRae, (Edinburgh University Students’ Association’s President)
The Future Economy seminar videos
The full recordings of this event will be available shortly but, in the meantime, you can watch the full video on our YouTube page.
Watch the Future Economy video.