Our vision, mission, aims and core principles.
To catalyse the transformation of health in society by working with people, populations and their data.
We work with people, populations and their data to understand and advance the health of individuals and populations through innovative collaborations in a global community.
We aim to:
- Build on our Scottish roots to support and maintain a community of skilled people contributing to improving local and global health;
- Create a vibrant, nurturing learning environment, based on research-led, student focussed teaching;
- Support open collaborations across and between disciplines to deliver high quality, data-driven research;
- Connect with communities of policy makers, practitioners, patients and publics to create, develop and share knowledge;
- Innovate to find new ways to address pressing issues in health and social care.
We commit to:
- Excellence in learning and teaching, research, innovation, and knowledge exchange;
- Working to the highest ethical practices and integrity in all that we do;
- A ‘team science’ approach working with colleagues across academia, health systems, and communities to promote the well-being of individuals and societies;
- Creating a respectful, inclusive working environment that supports colleagues in achieving their highest aspirations;
- Continuous, critical reflection and striving for improvement in all that we do:
- Developing equitable and sustainable relationships with communities locally and globally to ensure our work is responsive to their needs.
Our unique offering within the University of Edinburgh
The Usher Institute is a key applied and translational arm of the Edinburgh Medical School, within the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at the University of Edinburgh; offering significant expertise in health services research, health informatics, data science and social science. We strive for and work towards the data-enabled transformation of health.