Human Resources

You have a time-limited right to work in the UK

Information for non-EEA citizens and EEA/Swiss citizens who were not resident in the UK before 31 December 2020 who have a time-limited right to work in the UK, i.e. their visa has an expiry date.

The documents you need to hold and show the University that you have the right to work in the UK on a time-limited basis are outlined in the UK Visas and Immigration’s (UKVI) List B (below). These documents will have a permission expiry date and the date must not have expired. 

Further information about right to work for EEA/Swiss citizens is available at:

Understanding your right to work

List of EEA Countries from the UKVI website

The University will need to check if your visa places any restriction on the kind of work, or amount of work you are permitted to do in the UK.  

For example: 

  • If you already hold a Tier 2/Skilled Worker or Tier 5/Sponsored Researcher visa, your employment is tied to your existing sponsor and cannot be transferred to enable you to take up a full-time role with the University. To employ you, the University will need to apply for a separate Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) and assign this to you. You will then need to apply for a new visa.  You may be able to do some part-time work with the University if this meets the UKVI additional work rules. 

  • If you hold a Tier 4/Student Route visa there are restrictions on allowing you to take up a full-time role. If you are being offered a job which meets the criteria for a Skilled Worker CoS the University will need to apply for the CoS for you to be able to take up the role.