Human Resources

You already have the right to work in the UK

Information for UK/EEA/Swiss citizens who have an ongoing right to work in the UK and those who hold indefinite leave to remain in the UK. Please note this information applies to all EEA/Swiss citizens who were resident in the UK before 31 December 2020.

Documents to evidence an ongoing right to work in the UK are outlined in the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) List A (below).  These include a UK/EEA/Swiss passport.

List of EEA Countries from the UKVI website

If you are an EEA/Swiss citizen who was resident in the UK before 31 December 2020 you will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you wish to continue living and working in the UK. The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.   The Home Office are referring to the period between 1 January and 30 June as the EU-Exit grace period.  This is the period where freedom of movement has ended and the deadline of 30 June 2021 by which time eligible EEA/Swiss citizens need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.   

During this time, EEA/Swiss citizens can continue to use both their passport and national identity cards as evidence of their right to work until 30 June 2021.  

Further information about right to work for EEA/Swiss Citizens

Please note: UKVI rules prevent the University from accepting a visa/indefinite leave to remain vignette (i.e. sticker) that is in an expired passport. You will need to apply to UKVI to have the same visa issued as a separate biometric residence permit (BRP). This will then enable the University to employ you. 

Information about biometric residence permits

The application form to transfer your indefinite leave to remain to a BRP can be found at:

Application form to transfer indefinite leave to remain


If you have a right to work in the UK, but this is time-limited please visit the following webpage:

You have a time-limited right to work in the UK