Study abroad in Edinburgh

Safety and Support

Information about safety in Edinburgh and the academic and welfare support offered to our students.

Safety advice

The University's welfare page provides UK emergency service numbers and important safety advice:

Staying safe

The University of Edinburgh Emergency department have a dedicated security team, and the student will be directed to a member relevant to their situation.

Emergency Information

Welfare Support

The Advice Place

The Advice Place provides professional, non-judgemental, and accessible advice for all students matriculated at the University of Edinburgh. The staff can provide students with advice on a range of issues, including personal safety, health, support groups, harassment, and emergency accommodation.

The service is free, independent, and confidential.

The Advice Place

Student Immigration Service

The Student Immigration Service trained immigration advisors can provide you with specialist immigration advice.

Student Immigration Service

More information about the wide variety of other services (including the Student Counselling service, the Disability & Learning Support Service and the Chaplaincy) is located on the following page:

Students - health and wellbeing

Academic support

Students who come to Edinburgh on exchange or Study Abroad programmes are supported by Visiting Student Offices in each College:

Visiting Student Office for College of Arts, Humanities and Social Science



Visiting Student Office for College of Science and Engineering


All our taught students have a Student Adviser to provide them with direct support throughout their time at University. Your Student Adviser is there to help you make the most of your studies as an individual as you progress through your university career.

You should contact your Visiting Student Office or Student Adviser if you have any questions about your courses or any academic issues here in Edinburgh.

Study Skills

Institute for Academic Development has a variety of study development options aimed at helping you improve your approach and performance in academic work, including workshops and guidance for students new to academic life at the University of Edinburgh.

Institute for Academic Development

Language Support

English Language Education provides English language support for international students at Edinburgh:

English Language Support