Sutton Trust Summer School
Experience Edinburgh as a real student: living, studying and socialising in the heart of Scotland’s vibrant capital city. Explore subjects you’re interested in, take part in exciting social activities, receive expert support on your journey to university, and stay in real halls of residence.
Join us this summer between Monday 17 July to Saturday 22 July 2023 for “a life-changing experience” that is “fun, enlightening and welcoming!” (2022 Graduate feedback).
Get sorted into your House, make friends from all across the UK, try out academic subject, receive expert support, and live like a real first year student in accommodation. With something for everyone, there will never be a dull moment!
Spend 5-nights in Edinburgh and explore all the University and city have to offer. By the end of the week, we hope you will have gained a better insight into university life and have had lots of fun along the way!
At Edinburgh’s Sutton Trust Summer School, you have the opportunity to try out multiple subjects – perfect for if you are unsure or just want to try something new.
Our expert academics will lead you in fascinating subjects of your choice, plus dozens of other unique optional taster subjects. Experience lectures, tutorials, laboratory experiments, and group work just like a real first year student.
In 2023, students can study a combination of the following subjects:
- Biological Sciences
- Computer Science (Informatics)
- English Literature
- History & the Ancient World
- Languages, Literatures & Cultures
- Politics & International Relations
See the Sutton Trust’s website below for full details.
Summer school staff and current students will also guide you in key aspects of the university experience – including UCAS and personal statements, student finance, accommodation, student life, admissions, studying in Scotland, and much more.
Get to know your fellow students and Edinburgh in city tours (bus, Instagram and food based!), quiz night, an epic final night party, and loads more! You’ll also get plenty of free time and there’s even chilled activities for if you would rather take things slower.
Sutton Trust UK Summer Schools
You can apply to join the University of Edinburgh’s Sutton Trust Summer School if you are in S5 (Scotland), Year 12 (England & Wales), or Year 13 (Northern Ireland), and have always attended a state-funded school or college.
You are more likely to secure a place if:
- you have achieved at least five GCSEs at grades 9 – 6 (A*-B) (minimum of two of these qualifications at grades 9 – 7), or five A or B grades at National 5 (including one A). Including English and Maths. Where applicable, you have taken subjects relevant to the subject stream applied for
- your parents have not been to university
- you have been in receipt of Free School Meals or EMA whilst at secondary school
- you attend a school or college with a below-average A-level or Higher point score and/or a low rate of progression to higher education
- you live in a neighbourhood with a low rate of progression to higher education and/or a high level of socio-economic deprivation
Priority will be given to applicants who have been looked after, accommodated or in care, and refugees.
The more criteria you meet, the more likely you are to secure a place. Not meeting all of these will not disqualify you.
Applications open on Tuesday 10 January 2023 and close at midday on Friday 10 March 2023.
Follow us on Instagram
Follow The University of Edinburgh Sutton Trust Summer School on social media for a taste of what's involved.
Instagram: The University of Edinburgh Sutton Trust Summer School
Any questions? Contact us
Widening Participation Events Officer
- Work: 07760 163155
- Email: email@example.com