Sutton Trust Summer School
The University of Edinburgh Sutton Trust Summer School helps build your knowledge in a subject area you’re interested in exploring at university while letting you experience university life and meet like-minded students. It is for students in S5 (Scotland), Year 12 (England or Wales) or Year 13 (Northern Ireland), who have always attended a state-funded school or college.
The programme changes from year to year. In 2019, attendees will be able to study two of the following subjects throughout the week: Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science (Informatics), Ecological and Earth Sciences, Economics, Engineering, English Literature, History, Mathematics, Philosophy, Physics, Politics, Religious Studies, Sociology.
An academic expert, supported by University teaching assistants, will present each subject using a series of lectures, seminars, tutorials and laboratory experiments. The programme includes challenging and engaging academic sessions in these two subject areas; project work in one of these subject areas; sessions on other essential aspects of student life; and an exciting social programme.
Student group leaders will work with you throughout the week to make sure you feel at home and get the most out of your time in Edinburgh.
As well as the academic programme on offer, you'll have the opportunity to find out about other key aspects of the university experience, such as what it's like living in university accommodation, advice on applying to university and student life.
There will be an exciting schedule of social activities for you to choose from with something to suit everyone. Previous activities have included a quiz night, a city bus tour, escape rooms, sports activities and plenty of free time to explore the city. You'll celebrate your graduation from the summer school with a ceilidh and party.
By the end of the week we hope you will have gained a complete insight into university life and have had a lot of fun along the way too!
How do I join?
You can apply to join the University of Edinburgh's Sutton Trust Summer School if you are in S5 (Scotland), Year 12 (England or Wales) or Year 13 (Northern Ireland), and you always attended a state-funded school or college.
You are more likely to secure a place if:
- you have achieved at least five grades at either A or 6 at GCSE, or five A or B passes at National 5, and where applicable have taken subjects relevant to the subject stream applied for
- your parents have not been to university
- you have been eligible for free school meals or EMA
- your school or college has a low overall Higher/Advanced Higher, A-level, (or equivalent) point score, a low rate of progression to higher education and / or an above average free school meal status
- you live in a neighbourhood with a low rate of progression rates to higher education and/or a high level of socio-economic deprivation
Priority will be given to applicants who are (or have been) looked after, accommodated or in care.
Please apply through the Sutton Trust’s website: