YourEd is our secondary schools partnership scheme designed for schools and pupils who may feel unsure if Higher Education (HE) or the University of Edinburgh is for them. We take the University to you: sharing our resources and expertise to bring you into our University community at an earlier stage.
As a YourEd partner school and/or pupil you will take part in activities throughout your school years from S1 to S6. You will receive information, advice and guidance about Higher Education (HE) and studying at the University of Edinburgh.
What will I explore?
We will help you to explore:
- what university is like (and specifically the University of Edinburgh)
- what being a student at Edinburgh actually looks and feels like
- why you might want to consider studying here
What kind of support is offered?
YourEd activities and support are offered in a range of ways and include:
- online sessions (live or pre-recorded)
- in-school sessions
- full day campus visits
- social media
Who will I meet?
You’ll meet people from across our University including, and to name a few:
- YourEd team - we are here to help at all times
- YourEd Ambassadors - former pupils of your schools who now study with us
- Academic and Support Staff - from Professors to sport coaches
What do we cover?
YourEd covers many different areas, including:
Practical help and advice
- how the University works
- the types of different degree subjects we offer
- the kinds of careers you can enter with a degree from the University of Edinburgh
- next steps for applicants from accommodation to financial support and budgeting
- managing your wellbeing and goal-setting for the future
A taste of university life
- campus tours with our student ambassadors
- tasters of University sports clubs and societies
- the opporuntity to meet YourEd Ambassadors who can share their journey through Q&A and speed networking events
- academic tasters of university-level tutorials and lectures
You can join the YourEd project if you are a student in one of the following schools:
|City of Edinburgh||East Lothian||Fife||Midlothian||Scottish Borders||Stirling and Clackmannanshire||West Lothian|
S1 - S3 pupils
We work with all pupils from these year groups from our partner schools and we arrange support via your teachers.
Some of our campus events have capped numbers and we ask schools to prioritise pupils who fulfil Widening Participation (WP) criteria.
You can ask your Guidance staff for more information about YourEd.
S4 - S6 pupils
If you are in S4 - S6, attend one of our YourEd partner schools listed above AND meet any of the below criteria, you will be eligible to sign up for YourEd.
S4 - S6 eligibility criteria
- you are Care Experienced*; or
- you live in a Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation (SIMD) quintile 1* or 2 postcode area; or
- you are a Young Carer; or
- you are estranged* from your family; or
- you are a refugee* or asylum seeker*; or
- you are entitled to or are in receipt of Free School Meals (FSM); or
- you are entitled or are in receipt of Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA); or
- you are from a home where neither parent attended university in the UK or abroad; or
- if you have experienced adverse personal circumstances or barriers to engaging in your education we may still consider your application on a case by case basis
* These are some of the contextual factors we consider when making widening access offers. You can find out more on our widening acccess offers page.
Do I meet the criteria?
If you are unsure whether you meet any of our criteria, please contact the YourEd team directly and we will be happy to help you.