One of the world’s top research-intensive universities
The University of Edinburgh is one of the world’s top research-intensive universities, ranked 4th in the UK for research power (Times Higher Education's REF power ratings), with 90% of our research activity classified as world leading or internationally excellent in the 2021 Research Excellence Framework.
Discover our research
Explore the work of our world-class researchers across a range of cross-disciplinary areas.
A-Z of research centres and institutes
Edinburgh Innovations provides research and commercialisation expertise to industry, funders, licensees and investors.
- Existing drugs could treat strokes linked to dementia
- Ancient galaxy’s traits revealed using space telescope
- A fiver a day could help keep biodiversity loss at bay
- Experts assess Covid’s effect on children’s sport
- Double testing better at identifying bowel cancer
- Dementia study shows how toxic proteins spread
- AI tool could improve heart attack diagnosis
How the University community is making its mark upon the world through its research, innovation, ideas and actions.