One of the world’s top research-intensive universities
The University of Edinburgh is one of the world’s top research-intensive universities, ranked 4th in the UK for research power (Times Higher Education's REF power ratings), with 90% of our research activity classified as world leading or internationally excellent in the 2021 Research Excellence Framework.
Discover our research
Explore the work of our world-class researchers across a range of cross-disciplinary areas.
A-Z of research centres and institutes
Edinburgh Innovations provides research and commercialisation expertise to industry, funders, licensees and investors.
- Orkney cancer gene link revealed
- Climate change concern reduces support for gas
- Covid rule fines peaked in latter stages of lockdown
- Exercise helps mental health in pre-teen years
- Breast milk boosts premature babies' brain development
- Lockdowns linked with drop in preterm births
- Cold viruses may have helped curb Africa’s Covid-19 deaths
How the University community is making its mark upon the world through its research, innovation, ideas and actions.