Health & wellbeing
Facilities and services to maintain and improve health and wellbeing.
The Institute of Genetics and Cancer, and the wider University, is committed to developing a working environment and practices that help maintain and improve staff and student mental and physical health.
As part of the Institute’s ongoing commitment to the Health, Safety and Wellbeing of its Staff, Students and Visitors, the following Strategy was approved by the Operational Executive in January 2018.
A wide range of facilities and support is available to enhance staff and student health and wellbeing, including:
Free-to-use gym open 7.00am-7.00pm for Institute staff, students and visitors (following an induction). It is equipped with recumbent and upright exercise bikes, cross trainers, rower, weight stack and a variety of other fitness equipment.
The Institute offers great facilities for those who choose to cycle to work:
- Cycle to Work staff benefit scheme
- Outdoor bike parking plus a secure, indoor facility for up to 80 bikes
- Shower facilities throughout the Institute
- Regular ‘Dr Bike’ service and repair sessions provided on campus
- Location close to both the Haymarket-Cramond and Haymarket-Ocean Terminal cycle paths
Nucleus Café and social space
The Nucleus Café and social space, located on the first floor of the Institute is open to all staff, students and their visitors. The café facilities are open from 8.30am-4.00pm Monday-Friday, with the surrounding social space open at all times.
The café provides an extensive menu, including healthy choices and options for those with dietary requirements.
Institute of Genetics and Cancer Health & Wellbeing Week
The Institute of Genetics and Cancer hosts an annual Health & Wellbeing Week, open to all staff and students in the Institute. The event takes place in October with the aim of promoting healthy lifestyle choices and general wellbeing, within work and beyond.
University health & wellbeing support
The University’s commitment to enhancing health and wellbeing in the workplace has been recognised with a Gold Healthy Working Lives Award.
University support for staff and student health and wellbeing includes:
- Counselling services (for staff, students and couples)
- Disability support
- Family leave policies and childcare vouchers
- Financial information
- Health advice (general and travel)
- Healthy University Project
- Occupational Health
- Study support
- Support for Physical Activity programme