Study and Work Away Service

Practical arrangements

What you need to know about booking travel, accommodation, risk assessments, insurance and more.

Business travel arrangements

Besides the required Erasmus+ paperwork, you should ensure that you have made all other practical arrangements with regard to:

  • Booking travel
  • Risk assessment
  • Emergencies
  • Insurance
  • Health & Safety
  • Vaccines

Find all information for staff travelling on business

Risk assessment and travel insurance

A Covid-19 specific travel risk assessment must be completed for any travel on University of Edinburgh business, both within the UK and abroad. This risk assessment must be submitted as part of your travel insurance application, and will be mandatory for submission. 

Ensure you follow the accompanying flow chart before completing the risk assessment and thereafter follow your normal authorisation process prior to booking any travel or accommodation.

You should monitor FCDO’s guidance throughout the application process and pre-departure.  This includes arrangements and requirements for testing and quarantining.

Booking accommodation and travel

The University's designated travel management provider Diversity Travel manages travel undertaken by staff and students on behalf of the University.

However, many participating staff book their own travel and accommodation in order to obtain the best deal and maximise their Erasmus+ travel and subsistence grants.  Your host institution may be able to advise on affordable and nearby accommodation.