The Study and Work Away Service (SWAY) supports those participating in a broad range of international activities:
- Edinburgh students on exchanges or placements abroad
- Edinburgh staff who support students going on exchanges or placements
- International applicants planning to come to the University of Edinburgh through one of our study abroad programmes.
SWAY is transitioning to hybrid working. You can contact us by email at any time, or by phone or MS teams during our drop in hours.
European exchanges - for queries relating to outbound study exchanges in Europe, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
International exchanges - for queries relating to outbound study exchanges outside of Europe, contact: email@example.com
Placements - for queries relating to outbound work and research placements, placement-based dissertations, and study at language schools, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Incoming students - for queries relating to incoming study exchanges and other study-abroad experiences in Edinburgh, contact: email@example.com
- Projects - for queries relating to the Go Abroad Fund, or summer schools and programmes, contact the Projects team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Staff mobility - for queries relating to staff mobility opportunities for University of Edinburgh staff, contact: email@example.com
You can contact the relevant exchanges team with any questions about your exchange or placement from 2pm to 4pm on Tuesdays.
- European exchanges - for queries relating to outbound study exchanges in Europe, contact: 0131 650 3017
International exchanges - for queries relating to outbound study exchanges outside of Europe, contact: 0131 650 4621
If you are currently participating in a study exchange or placement, have recently returned, or are considering applying and would like to chat to a member of our Study and Work Away (SWAY) team you can now book a 1:1 Virtual Appointment. Appointments are available on Thursdays from 10 am to 12 pm.
Please note that these appointments are available for current University of Edinburgh students only.
Use the links below to access our booking forms and book a 10/15 minute appointment with either the European/International Programmes or Placements teams:
- European Programmes - our European team specialise in study exchanges and Erasmus+ traineeships in Europe, including the EU, EEA, Switzerland and Turkey. You can book an appointment with a member of our study team, or our traineeship team.
- International Programmes - our International team specialise in study exchanges outside of Europe. For current exchange students booking an appointment with our International team, we encourage you, where possible, to select the member of staff with whom you have had the most contact throughout your exchange process. For general enquiries and those newly considering exchange, please select ‘no preference’ or ‘any member of staff’.
- Placements - our Placements team specialise in supporting credit-bearing work, research and language school study placements which are based outside of the UK, for students from the Schools listed below:
Students applying for or participating in a placement-based dissertation from the School of Social and Political Science should contact the Placements team direct to arrange an appointment.
All other students should book an appointment with the Placements team
Before getting in touch
In some instances, SWAY may not be best placed to answer your enquiry, or there may be additional resources needed to help you in advance of your appointment:
Read our Before You Go pages for information about visas, accommodation, funding, risk assessment, insurance and more:
Our Academic Matters page will hopefully provide some answers to your questions in the first instance, but for more detailed information about the academic implications of your study placement, you should speak to your Exchange Coordinator.
They will be able to advise on things like course selections, how your study placement will count towards your degree, how many credits or courses you need to take abroad, what happens if you fail a course abroad, and so on.
Contact your School to find out if they offer any additional study or placement opportunities abroad which are not outlined on these pages.
Should an emergency situation occur whilst you are abroad, your first action should be to make contact as soon as possible with your nominated contact at your host institution, organisation or place of work, and your family. Your local contact often has the local knowledge and “know how” to advise and support you.
It is also very important for you to contact the University of Edinburgh. If you need to speak with a member of the Study and Work Away service during office hours, regarding an urgent situation that requires immediate attention, you can call the SWAY helpline on +44 (0)131 651 5999. Find more information below:
The Study and Work Away service helpline is available for urgent situations that require immediate attention and cannot be resolved by email or by calling during drop-in hours - please call:
This line is open during our core office hours (Monday-Friday, 10am-4pm).
Please note we will not be able to respond to your enquiry on this number if it is not a critical situation. Please email us or call us during drop-in times instead for all other issues including visa issues, flight delays, late documents etc. Please refer to the “Drop-ins and appointments” section above for more details.
Please contact the SWAY helpline if you have:
- Immediate concerns about your personal well-being or safety in your host country
- Immediate concerns about the general safety in your host country (e.g. heightened risk of conflicts, terrorism, natural disasters, sudden border restrictions)
- A medical emergency, or serious health concerns that will impact your activity abroad
The staff member on rota will do their best to support you and ensure your call is passed on to the relevant department, if applicable.
If you need to get in touch with someone at the University in an emergency outside of our core office hours (Monday to Friday, 10am - 4pm), please use the following number:
Data protection and privacy
Details of how we use your information can be found in the University's Privacy statement:
If contacting us about, or on behalf of, somebody else then please note that the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) prohibit us from divulging any information in regards to students of the University of Edinburgh without an individual’s consent. This is with the exception of situations where disclosure is urgently required to prevent immediate, obvious or urgent risk to the student.
The Study and Work Away service is unable to discuss or pass on information about a student, even to their parents, unless the student has given explicit consent for us to do so. We would encourage students to make contact with us themselves at all times regarding their Study and Work Away activities and arrangements.