International applicants

Undergraduate requirements

All applicants to the University will be asked to demonstrate a level of English language competency, regardless of their nationality or country of residence.

English language requirements

English language requirements vary between degree programme. 

Find the specific language requirements for your chosen programme in our degree finder.

Undergraduate degree finder

International applicants requiring a Tier 4 visa

If you require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, the English qualification that you use for admissions purposes to undergraduate degree level study at the University of Edinburgh, must be included in our list of accepted qualifications, unless you are a national of a majority English speaking country as defined by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

Majority English speaking countries

Your English language qualification must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the programme you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, TOEFL, PTE or Trinity ISE, in which case it must be no more than two years old.  

English language qualifications we accept for Tier 4:


International English Language Testing System (taken at any IELTS test centre)

Two year expiry


Internet based Test of English as a Foreign Language Test

Two year expiry

PTE Academic

PTE Academic

Two year expiry

CAE Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English
CPE Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English
Trinity ISE

Trinity Integrated Skills in English

Two year expiry
iGCSE English

International General Certificate of Secondary Education English.

All First or Second Language iGCSE qualifications are accepted.

iGCSE English literature qualifications are not accepted.

SQA National 5 English National 5 English and National 5 ESOL are accepted.
SQA Higher English Higher English and Higher ESOL are accepted.
GCSE English Language

General Certificate of Secondary Education English Language.

GCSE English Literature is not accepted.
O Level English Language From the following countries: Botswana; Brunei; Cameroon; Mauritius; Pakistan; Rwanda; Singapore; Zimbabwe
AS or A Level English English Language; English Language and Literature; and English Literature
International Baccalaureate English Standard or Higher Level, (ab initio not accepted)
Cambridge Pre-U English Literature in English (Principal)
Singapore Integrated Programme Secondary 4 English or Language Arts
South African National Senior Certificate English Home/First Language
Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) English Language
Malaysian SPM English plus Cambridge GCE O Level English 1119  
Indian CBSE or CISCE, Class XII English  
AP English English Language and Composition or English Literature and Composition
Canadian Secondary/High School Diploma Grade 12 - English Language Arts/English
Singapore Higher 1, Higher 2, or Higher 3 English in Literature, or Higher 2 English Language and Linguistics  
Uganda Certificate of Education English  
Certificate of Nile International Secondary Level 1 English  
Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate English A plus English B  
Option International du Baccalaureat (British/American version), English Language and Literature  
Botswana GCSE English (BGCSE)  
Gatehouse ESOL International (Classic) Level 2 or Level 3

The grades or scores needed in the most common qualifications for entry to specific programmes are shown on our degree finder. To find out the requirements for any qualifications not listed, please check our country pages for more information, or contact the College undergraduate admissions office for the programme you are applying for.

Country pages

College undergraduate admissions offices

Applicants who require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK and are interested in the following programmes which are at sub-degree level, need to ensure that they have an IELTS for UKVI test from a UKVI approved test centre:

For a list of UKVI approved test centres:

UKVI approved test centre

The University accepts satisfactory completion of all Foundation English for Academic Purposes (FEAP) modules in its International Foundation Programme as meeting English language requirements.

English language courses

Related links